Favored KT-88's for Sonic Frontiers amp?

Hi,
taking a concensus for a friend who has a Sonic Frontiers amp. Who's KT-88's do you favor?
Thanks
Chas
chashas1

Showing 2 responses by flyfish2002

I have a pair of SFM-160s that Chris Johnson heavily modded - his "full monty" in Chris' terms.

Anyway, during this extensive mod, Chris told me that the Gold Lion KT-88s are the output tubes he would give his highest recommendation for use with the SFM-160s. Of course, others will work.

Though I have not tube rolled, I am very pleased with his recommendation in terms of reliabiity, sonics and overall enjoyment of the music.

Newbee - could not agree more. The plate voltage is high pre- and post-mod. The mod involved a heavy re-working of the PS (including fuse, IEC inlet and wire) and then, of course, signficant replacement of parts and internal wiring with 2008 replacing 1993. Not only did the original SFM-160s not really have premium parts in its day (there was no Signature version), the quality and tolerances of today are vastly superior to 15 years ago.

Chashasl - Chris is a very good source for the Gold Lions. He sells hand matched pairs for just a little bit exta.

Good luck,