Everyone whose Merlins...

have just passed the break-in period, could you please post your thoughts on the speaker and SuperBAM. A friend is using my pair till my room is finished(Sometime next year).
128x128tabl10s
Well, the bottom line is that the MX is a dramatic improvement over the Millenium, and the addition of the superBAM takes it to another level yet. I am quite simply astonished at the amount of bass coming out of these speakers, I would not have thought it possible for such a 'small' woofer. It is not just the quantity of the bass, but the quality that is dramatically improved with the superBAM in the loop. Tonal accuracy is so much improved it is uncanny, it's almost like you can hear how old the bass players' strings are. Bass weight and impact are kicked up several notches too. It also seems (although I know it is not possible) that the bass goes lower than before. "Merlins on steroids"?
At the same time, I don't think that you lose any of the other qualities of the speaker. It would be a mistake to say that this only affects the bass. The entire signal obviously passes through the superBAM, so performance across the spectrum seems much improved, I would say more musical and natural sounding, more spacious and open, more harmonically accurate? Hard to put into words. I guess that the most succinct way to say it is that getting a superBAM is really not an 'option', it is a necessity. You haven't heard the MX until you have the superBAM.
Also, there is a pretty significant burn-in for the superBAM. I had two superBAMS here at once, one was burned in as Bobby recommends by draining and recharging the batteries a number of times. The other was left plugged in except when listening, and it never drained even once. The difference between the drained/recharged one and the other was pretty obvious. Once burned in, running on battery, the sound was fuller and more relaxed. The analogy I use is like switching from the 'normal' setting on my Bernings to the 'medium' setting, I know that won't help those who've never heard Bernings but, that's the best I can come up with.
Yes and no on the Stereovox. Right now I have a mix of Cerious Tech IC's, Stereovox IC's, and Stereovox speaker cables. Really like the Cerious, although I think the Stereovox have cleaner, more pristine highs, kind of a trade off.
I had the MM's for about 5 months.--Pretty much not much deep bass to speak of.---I live in an apt; so I wasn't looking for subwoofer bass; just the lower foundation of the music. --After the newness wore off,I knew I had to have some bass. I bought the Wilson Sophia. Changing absolutely nothing but the speakers and placing them in just about the same spot;+ or -, a foot, all I can say is WOW!!--Now the "Super Bam" came to late for me. I drove both speakers with a set CJ'8s.---(I also had the Dehavilland AriesG for a spell)--I've had these amps(CJ's) for 3 years; driving several other speakers most notable being Montana's EPS. The bass from the Montana is near that of the Wilson; the rest of that speaker isn't in the league of MM or Soph.-- I know I'm going against the grain here but as a former owner I'm just stating my opinion on how they (MM's) performed in my room with my equipment.----There is a reason there have been several threads entitled--"What sub. with??--
HI Oneprof

Please tell us where you are using the Cerious and how it differs from Stereovox.
I have the VSM-SE's and just got my BAM back from Merlin as well. A worth while upgrade.

Paul