ETHERNET CABLES

When using ethernet for hooking up streaming devices and dacs, what cat level of  ethernet cable should be used. Is there any sonic improvement by going to a  higher dollar cat 7 or 8 cable?

128x128samgar2

@samgar2 

Sam, it just dawn on me. Can you not move your Verizon Fios router near Zenith and avoid buying mesh wifi system? Unlike conventional routers from AT&T that are typically ‘chained’ to wall phone line or cable outlet, Verizon Fios is truly a wireless router which should have two RJ45 outputs for devices that need wired connectivity. 

Hello Lalitk:

Thanks for getting back to me. My Verizon Fios router is located in my living room  of my house right next to my television. There is a Verizon extender located right above on the second floor which feeds my computer. My audio system is located in a Florida room which is off the living room. Currently I have a 35 foot eithernet cable coming off the router and going to my Innuos. If I move the router next to my audio system, I will have to use a longer ethernet cable to connect the TV and I am not sure if the extender on the above floor will work. Based on this, do you think moving the router close to Innuos is a good idea?

Thanks,

Sam

@samgar2 

Sam, the only way to find out if the extender above your floor will work or not is by relocating the VFios near Zenith. And run the existing 35ft back to your TV from VFios. To me, the shorter high quality ethernet cable + filter should yield a better improvement than a shorter run to your TV from VFios. All of this ofcourse contingent upon if your extender near computer remains effective. 

@samgar2 

What is a mesh network is and how is it set up. 

Perhaps the younger cousin of a mesh network is a wifi extender. That was my plan to do this, as I was not able to run ethernet to my system. After research, I bought a TP-link WiFi Range Extender AC2600 RE650. This has an ethernet out, so I could easily connect to my streamer.

Then I found out that you can use a phone cable for ethernet, so got my electrician to change the plugs. That was a problem solved.

I still use the extender in a bedroom, with a second system.