equating class A to class AB SS amps?

I am confused about how to equate and compare class A to class AB solid state amps. Is there a conversion factor, or is it not that simple? I have heard people say that "this 30 wpc class A amp is easily equivalent to 150 wpc class AB" etc.

The two top Luxman integrated amps cost about the same. One is the 30 wpc pure class A L-590Aii, and the other is the 120 wpc class AB L-509u. How do these amps equate or compare to each other? Which is more powerful (or are they about the same?)? I am confused!

Regards,

Mark

toronto416

Showing 2 responses by toronto416

Many thanks for all the helpful replies! Now I am less confused.

The speakers that I am considering are the Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations, driven by either a Luxman 590Aii or a 509u. Both Luxman integrateds are heavy beasts with large transformers/power supplies, and they exactly double their output into 4 ohms. One is class A (590Aii, 30 wpc) and the other class AB (509u, 120 wpc).

The 509u probably operates in class A at low volumes, and may be the way to go. I know that the 590Aii is highly regarded, but I am concerned about a hot and power hungry pure class amp in the long-term.

Adding a Wadia 381 or an Esoteric X-05 cdp to the mix may be the beginning of a great system.

Regards,

Mark
Yes, I plan to buy new. My Kind of Music, near Heath & Spadina in Toronto is a real treasure trove...
http://www.mykindofmusic.com/index2.htm

John carries Luxman and Verity Audio, along with many other lines.

Regards,

Mark