Epi/Epicure M1000 vs. Duntech Sovereign

Wanted to pose a question to those that have heard both the Epicure/Epi M1000 towers and the Duntech Sovereign (I guess opens up to the Dunlavy SCV as well) to ask opinions.
I had, fairly recently, found and fully restored a pair of the vintage Epi M1000 towers back to better than new with 12gauge wiring, binding posts, caps etc. etc. and recently came upon a pair of early model - unmolested - Duntech Sovereign 2001.  When I mentioned this to a dealer of very very high end gear about this "comparison" for the idea of replacing the M1000 with the Duntech her response was "Why?  The Epi 1000 are better...."
This totally took me for a shocker.  I didn't, and don't, know how this could be possible.  She then went on to inform me that she had a pair of the M1000 back in the 70s and was a dealer for both Duntech and Dunlavy lines. 
She basically told me to save my money and not to bother with either of the "one hit wonders" and keep the Epi as they are "icons" to audio. 
I have never heard either of the others however I've read the literature and know that the 1000 are absolutely incredible sounding speakers with silky smooth highs, from the inverted dome tweets, and truly floor rumbling lows....
I'd like to hear any comments, impressions or whatever regarding this subject.  Thank you in advance...
marzutra

Showing 1 response by normansizemore

Back in the ealry 80's a very goof friend of mine rann two Phase Linear D-500's into the M-1000.  His were from 74 or 75 and had the bi-amp option. Earlier models didnt have this but it is an easy retrofit.  Any way, at well over 500 watts per channel of very clean 
power the EPI's were quite happy to absorb it all. The only other spearker I've ever seen take so much power was the BOSE 901's.

I always loved the sound of EPI, and that wonderful inverted dome tweeter..