Environmental Potentials whole house surge protection, can I get your opinions?

I'd like to protect my whole house from surges rather than use individual units around the house.
The power on the NE is pretty good, but I know all it takes one bad zap. Have any of you installed this unit and do you think it works?
gdnrbob
Do NEC codes protect property from *all* hazards - as you have only assumed? Of course not. Codes only protect property from hazards that also threaten human life - such as fire. Appliances can be completely destroyed by other anomalies. NEC says nothing about protecting from those other anomalies. Destroyed appliances that do not threaten human life (ie that do not created a house fire) are ignored by the NEC.

Rather than argue philosophical and broad spectrum concepts, instead learn relevant electrical concepts. OP’s question is clearly about protecting household appliances from surges. Electrical concepts (ignored by NFPA and NEC) such as impedance, counterpoise, equipotenial, and where hundreds of thousands of joules are absorbed - these concepts you also repeatedly ignore. These concepts define protection. Nothing in the NEC discusses these concepts. Because NEC is totally about human protection.

Most critical item for appliance protection is single point earth ground. Earthing that must both **meet** and must **exceed** code requirements. Even measuring earth resistance (to meet human safety requirements) is insufficient.

Protection is always - as in always - about where hundreds of thousands of joules are harmlessly absorbed. A protector is only as effective as its low impedance (ie less than 10 foot) connection to and quality of earth ground. NEC does not discuss any of this: what is essential to protect all household appliances.

Better is to answer the OP’s question by learning well proven concept that you never heard before. Better is to ask questions about how to make earthing exceed what code requires - rather than argue the irrelevant. Defined is how protection was done successfully well over 100 years ago. Better earthing for appliance protection is an ’art’ - that you apparently refuse to learn because the NEC does not discuss it.

westom,

LOL,

You just ramble on and on saying the same things over and over.

As for my posts on this thread I believe I answered all the OP’s questions and concerns accurately. Starting with SPDs and the importance of the integrity of the electrical service’s grounding electrode system/earth connection.

I would ask you to go back to the start of this thread and read my posts, but I know it would be a waste of time. It is obvious you have a problem understanding what you read.

Your understanding of NEC leaves a lot to the imagination.

I know you won’t, but you should at least take the time and read Article 90 of the NEC. It might help you better understand the rest of the book.

Pay close attention to the highlighted last sentence of 90.1 (A)
This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons.

Then read 90.1(B)
(B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and proper maintenance results in an installation that is essentially free from hazard but not necessary efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service or future expansion of electrical use.
Then read the Informational Note just below (B).

Through out this thread I said the NEC was bare minimum! I repeatedly spoke of the importance of the electrical service grounding electrode system/earth connection. I used IEEE recommendations, not NEC, for the minimum 5 ohm or less grounding electrode to earth resistance. I even said 2 ohms or less was better yet.
Again you ramble on about things completely irrelevant to the OP's questions. Refuse to learn how protection really works.  Apparently foolishly assume everything about electricity is defined by the NEC.  And repeatedly make adversarial denials with subjective (also called junk science) reasoning.

OP asked about best protection for household appliances.  Protection is always about where hundreds of thousands of joules are harmlessly absorbed.  A surge that does not enter a building does not hunt for earth destructively via appliances.  One item always found and essential for protection is single point earth ground.  With a low impedance (not low resistance) connection to earth.  Requirements that exceed what is defined by code - that only defines human protection.

Protection is always about where hundreds of thousands of joules are harmlessly absorbed.  Always. Another number provided by people who did this stuff.  OP's 'whole house' protector is only as effective as its earth ground.  Earth grounds that only comply with NEC may even compromise that protection.

Most of what jea48 posts is irrelevant to the OP's requests.  Made obvious by subjective claims; without numbers.  Made obvious by no grasp of counterpoise, equipotential, impedance, joules and other relevant concepts.  And no appreciation of this prime concept: A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.  Low impedance earthing makes the OP's 'whole house' protector effective.

Post removed 
I have a  Power surge protector on my meter to my house the electric company put it on there for me it cost five dollars a month .