Electrocompanient EMP-2 vs. Oppo BDP-103

I was surprised to discover recently that looking inside the $3500.00 Electrocompanient EMP-2 Univeral Blu Ray player that its using the exact same high quality power board and transport thats inside the $500.00 Oppo BDP-103. The processor signal board in the EMP-2 looks average and I guess the much higher price is paying for the pretty face plate. Another example that Oppo player's are a steal. Curious if Oppo is providing OEM services for Electrocompanient and making their EMP-2.
audiozen

Showing 1 response by audiojan

The EMP-2 is basically a modified BDP-103, but that doesn't mean that it's overprice cr*p... There's quite a analog audio path is quite different, the power supply (although based on the BDP-103) is not exactly the same, as you have different components (much higher quality). The transport is good, so why change it? Same thing does with the video board.

I doubt Oppo has anything to do with the EMP-2, except supplying components of the innards. Electrocompaniet does have their own machine shop and can really make some beautiful (and function) casings, etc.

I would agree that doesn't necessarily make the EMP-2 a good value though... I think you need to compared it more towards the BDP-105 and I suspect that the different at that point won't be that much...