EAR 834p Tube Upgrade/Replacement

I have been told the primary tube to replace in the EAR 834p phono pre-amp is in the first position. Is the first position closest to the front of the unit? I have ordered some NOS RCA 12AX7 replacements tubes to try.
thankful
When I had the 834P I rolled many different brands of tubes in this preamp at all positions, including some nice NOS Telefunkens, both smooth and ribbed plates, and finally concluded that the current Genalex 12AX7s, as ordered from Tube Depot and selected for low noise, provided the best results with great dynamics, warmth, air, depth of stage and solid bass. The Telefunkens, though very nice and a close second, were a bit too smooth and soft for my tastes.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will try the RCA and if I don't like the sound I will try the Genalex.

Did you replace all three or just the first position? Is the first position closest to the front of the unit?
The Telefunkens, though very nice and a close second, were a bit too smooth and soft for my tastes
Wow! 1st time I hear Tele ribbed plates are soft.
Thankful, there is often confusion about tube locations in the 834P. The tube with the most potential through upgrade is, in fact, the one closest to the front; but, that position is V1. The middle tube is V2, and the one in the rear is V3. Having said that, and as Stevecham points out, I have experimented with different tubes in all three positions with good results. Unlike him, in my system, best results (by far) were with the Telefunkens. Good luck.
Thankful, my apology. As I said, there is often confusion, including mine. I got it completely backwards. What I meant to write is that the front tube is actually V3. Middle tube is V2 and rear tube is V1. It seems counterintuitive but that is the way it is configured. Anyway, do start with the front tube (V3).
Good luck.
My dealer, who is also the local EAR service center, and a gentleman that mods the 834P, both highly recommend JJ88's. I think. I can double check if you're serious.

When I was considering purchasing the JJ's I found out that my EAR already had them ATOS. I was told that, around the time I purchased mine, that EAR had begun shipping units with the JJ's. But, mine were "short" or "medium" plate, and so still being curious, I purchased a set of "long" plate JJ's.

I don't remember noticing a huge difference, or even a medium difference in the sonic character between the JJ's -- the short or medium plate and the long plate. But, I kept them anyway sinhce it never hurts to have an extra set of tubes. And "long" plates are the ones that are currently in my 834P.
The ribbed plate Teles were just a soft as the smooth.

Yes I replaced all three positions with the Genalex tubes.
02-18-13: Stevecham
The ribbed plate Teles were just a soft as the smooth.
Sounds like you got some BAD/OLD ones. Did you get them off Ebay?
Placed 3 late 1960's RCA tubes in the EAR 834p and what a nice enhancement. The bass is has become outstanding and the sound overall is simply eloquent.