Does my amp have enough juice to power my speakers?

Having just read a review in Stereophile of my Audio Physic Step Plus speakers (which I have to my utter dismay ,knocked over and dinged AAAgh!), the author states that his Shindo Haut-Briton Power amp (20wpc) couldn't drive the Step Plusses and states that nothing less than 35Wpc could drive them.  My dilemma is that I have a Line Magnetic 216 IA rated at 22Wpc that sometimes sounds heavenly and on other days sounds eeh.  Do I need an amp with more boost?  

udog

Showing 4 responses by tomic601

@rodman99999 As have I, schlepping a stacked pair of Lascalla around the Midwest, then managing a high end audio shop, attending a lot of unamplified as well as amplified shows, then manufacturing where we built 84 wings a month using high speed riveters and hand guns, and now a life of amplified leisure and an acoustic bass and mobile recording rack...

yes the very thing thing that makes me rich, makes me poor

Ry Cooder

i have met many a musician with severely damaged hearing

bless all on this thread :-)

love drawing a conclusion based on a sample of one....

from my experience in managing manufacturing operations across the globe for thirty years, the injured are often convinved of the exceptionality of themselves, PRIOR to the injury....
eric has a good point on power quality IF your sound quality varies nite by hite but the SPL and music you are listening to remains constant.

my reference system is bi-amped at 1.2 KW per side, w speakers in the 84 Db class for efficiency, but I never use that ( how do I know ? DMM, SPL meter and an RTA....good tools are cheap, your hearing is not )

I have two other 40 WPC systems that provide adequate SPL for peaks w 86 db class speakers in rooms to 15’ x 35’, of course I dont listen all that loud...certainly no 100 db peaks....

on to your amp, audiogon member contemplating purchase of the 86 db speaker hauled his amp over to my place for 4 hour listening session at levels louder than I normally push - amp held together pretty well and dialed back just a smidge was liquid velvet, its certainly a musical amp. It was running off Isotech power conditioning....

finally for those who dig the high SPL world, get hearing tested....