Does anyone care to ask an amplifier designer a technical question? My door is open.

I closed the cable and fuse thread because the trolls were making a mess of things. I hope they dont find me here.

I design Tube and Solid State power amps and preamps for Music Reference. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, have trained my ears keenly to hear frequency response differences, distortion and pretty good at guessing SPL. Ive spent 40 years doing that as a tech, store owner, and designer.
Perhaps someone would like to ask a question about how one designs a successfull amplifier? What determines damping factor and what damping factor does besides damping the woofer. There is an entirely different, I feel better way to look at damping and call it Regulation , which is 1/damping.

I like to tell true stories of my experience with others in this industry.

I have started a school which you can visit at http://berkeleyhifischool.com/ There you can see some of my presentations.

On YouTube go to the Music Reference channel to see how to design and build your own tube linestage. The series has over 200,000 views. You have to hit the video tab to see all.

I am not here to advertise for MR. Soon I will be making and posting more videos on YouTube. I don’t make any money off the videos, I just want to share knowledge and I hope others will share knowledge. Asking a good question is actually a display of your knowledge because you know enough to formulate a decent question.

Starting in January I plan to make these videos and post them on the HiFi school site and hosted on a new YouTube channel belonging to the school.

128x128ramtubes
Hi Rodger,

I’m still enjoying your Music Reference RM5 MK-III preamplifier. I think I bought it back in 1994 or there about’s. Still sounds amazing by the way. I was wondering what tubes would you recommend as replacements because I’m sure you have tried many over the years and have some favorites you could recommend.

Again Thanks!
There would be a step beyond desire for the implementation of 'tone' controls, i.e. to weak a control, and nah, give me soup. Too much, but then it becomes my mother. "Do this-do that, this isn't quite right, what about another..." You see, I either listen to the music, or listen to Everything else! Choice ends when the system is set at the positive. All is right with the beat.
@ks2 - When Roger refurbishes an RM-5 the preamp gets computer tested pre-end of Soviet era SLN 6922 tubes. That is the preferred tube and the lowest noise 6922/6DJ8 tube he has tested.

FWIW - I have used them in my RM-5 Mk IV, RM-1 (12 tubes total), RM-4, and the as yet unnamed phono stage/tape head preamp. So I can attest to Roger's findings.
The talk I saw about the DIY kit version of the First watt B4 was maybe six months ago, on a Nelson Pass-related DIY Forum site.
"However, there is progress. The DIY versions of the SL crossover and
a version of B4 should be in the store in a month or so, starting with just
the pcb + Jfets kit, to be followed by more complete w/ parts versions."

Nelson Pass in diyAudio Pass Labs 2018-02-13 : https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/165756-pass-labs-b4-crossover-questions-post5340382.html
@ieales - Thanks for digging that up. From what I read in the link if the B4 kits were to be available in March or so, then they are either quite delayed or perhaps they were made available and sold out. I have the SL kit on a fully populated board but would much prefer a B4 kit.