Do you think you need a subwoofer?

Why almost any one needs subwoofers in their audio systems?

I talk with my audio friends about and each one give me different answers, from: I don't need it, to : I love that.

Some of you use subwoofers and many do in the speakers forum and everywhere.

The question is: why we need subwoofers ? or don't?

My experience tell me that this subwoofers subject is a critical point in the music/sound reproduction in home audio systems.

What do you think?
Ag insider logo xs@2xrauliruegas

I went from 2 subs to 4 this weekend . The distributed bass plan works like a charm the bass response is even around the room and the whole system just sounds right .

enginedr1960,

Congratulations, I'm glad the distributed bass array system works as well in your room as it does in mine.  I'm not really surprised since this method has been proven to work in numerous rooms no matter the size or shape.

But, if you don't mind, could you give us a few details such as:

Are the 2 additional subs you added the same brand and model as your original 2 subs?
Are your subs self amplified or passive (driven by separate amp(s))?
What method did you use to locate the subs in your room?
Where did you windup locating the 4 subs in your room?
Do you use your system for 2-ch music, HT or both?

I think I've stated my system is used for both 2 ch music and HT and, just as you stated, "the whole system just sounds right" for both.  I still find I'm amazed how well the distributed bass array system works and with absolutely no room treatments, microphones, software programs or equalizers required.
     I know the distributed bass array system is scientifically based and has been empirically verified by numerous independent acoustic engineers and users but I'm still amazed how well it works.  Taut, powerful and textured bass that integrates seamlessly and just sounds life-like and right.

Thanks,
   Tim

Hi Tim

My sub system is using 4 REL q201e subs . I have a set of custom Ohm Walsh 2.2000 speakers that are 13 " high that sit on top of the subs I run my front subs in stereo and use a DSPeaker Antimode 2.0 for LF room correction .The other subs in the rear of the room were hooked up to my HT pre pro LFE . After hearing a distributed bass system at a listening session I was hooked . I reconfigured my LF system . I added the two rear subs into the stereo mix keeping each side of the room on the same channel . too control the rear subs I am using a Mini DSP 2x4 beats crawling on your knees to make adjustments .Adding the rear subs evened out the bass response in the room and made a huge improvement in the system . I am still tweeking the adjustments. I should have tried this sooner a big change ! 

I've resisted using a subwoofer (or really a woofer based system, not really a "subwoofer" per se) with my Sound Lab 845PX speakers for several years.  The reasons for my recalcitrance are as follows:
(1) I've never met an electronic crossover that did not color the sound in some objectionable and noticeable way.
(2) I am getting tremendous low bass response from my 845PXs with no added woofer (but see below).
(3) I ascribe to the idea that one-way systems are a virtue; I have revised the electronics in my 845PXs to eliminate the filtering that precedes the two audio step-up transformers. (This is another long story not suitable to this thread.)  There is no crossover in my system anywhere and only one 0.1uF capacitor in the signal path, from the line level input of the preamplifier to the speakers. 
(4) I envisioned that adding a woofer system would require introducing at least two large-ish and probably ugly cabinets into our living room, and I am or was loathe to do that. Esthetics matter to me.

However, the price I pay for this policy is in fact that I have too much bass.  I do perceive suboptimal resolution and definition at the extreme lowest frequencies, where there is not so much a "peak" but a gradual rise in speaker output.  I use Tube Traps behind each SL panel to ameliorate this problem, but it is not a perfect solution. I believe this is because the SL speakers rise in impedance as frequency goes down.  (I've measured this.) Since I use OTL tube amplifiers, this results in a broad rise in speaker output, inversely related to frequency. (The OTLs love high impedance.)  Lately, I perceive there are ways to overcome my reservations about electronic crossovers, either by using only a capacitor at the amplifier input, to roll off the 845PXs at low frequency, or by using any of a very few electronic crossovers that may be acceptable to me.  In addition, one of you guys pointed out that a pair of woofers could be placed behind the panels, out of sight, and that the cabinets need not be huge.

Over the years, I have made this system better and better.  Now I think the only thing left is to take a shot at adding a woofer supplement.  Duke LeJeune probably knows more about supplementing SL speakers than anyone, and I intend to consult with Duke on the best course of action.
To clear up my system and crossover implementation I use a cap in the signal input to my VTL100 tube mono blocks to make a high pass @ 50 hrz . and use the Mini DSP 2x4 as the sub only crossover that I can adjust on the fly . The extra subs serve as active room treatment