Do You Tell Others How Much You Have Invested in Your System?

Putting security and personal safety issues aside, do you share with others how much you have invested in your system?

I can see cases when we share with those who are generally interested what the "tariff" is for superb audio reproduction. Or, those who are already know how tall you have to be to ride the ride.

Can you think of any other reasons (accountants, lawyers, insurance, etc)? Afterall, when your spouses second cousin pulls in the driveway in their Minivan, bragging about fact that you have $10k invested in cables may not be the best way show common interests?

What say you?

128x128waytoomuchstuff

I keep it on a spreadsheet so I remember what I paid (and the current list price) in case I didn't get a receipt. and so I know it if I end up selling it or trading it in. I don't keep track of stuff I've gotten rid of and how that "investment" performed. It holds its value better than clothes or furniture, unlike records which sometimes go up, so in my mind it almost justifies it. I don't keep what I paid for the records on a spreadsheet though I have a pretty good idea. All in all, it is WAY less than what people waste on golf, and time more enjoyably spent.

If anyone asks, I will tell them. Usually it's about a specific component or accessory. They rarely do.

I try not to tell even myself what I’ve actually spent.

I just know I’m not eating out for at least another year, and you can dress up instant ramen really nice with a few spices, some scallions and a beaten egg.

I'm a retired accountant. I keep an excel spreadsheet inventory detailing my equipment. It includes manufacturer, model, serial numbers, purchase source, date of purchase and of course costs including: sales tax, S&H, upgrades and modifications. I don't tally a cost for the many hours of time spent repairing and restoring old gear, as that is not work but fun.

What is missing, however, is any estimate of current fair market value. I don't care to estimate or know.  A print out is available to any visitor interested enough to sit down with me and enjoy listening to some music.

When they see it They look  in awe, then they always ask how much?

I tell them and then they always have the same jaw drop expression on their face,

" You're crazy!"  Ah I say, then they listen to it in disbelief in what they're hearing. Shaking they're head. They love what they hear but can't make the connection with the cost and time in the investment.