Do you leave your components on 24/7?

Lately I've been leaving my components on all the time, on the assumption that a) they'll be ready when I want to listen, and b) the on/off cycle ages the equipment (tubes, anyway) faster than leaving everything on. Is the latter a reasonable assumption?
128x128cmjones

Showing 5 responses by rodman99999

One can have enough degrees to be a thermometer(I only got two at Case Institute), and they will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for the individual's aural acuity, or their system's resolution(just two of many possible variables). My BAT VK-D5 CDP has a, "Standby" feature, that keeps the circuits/tubes warmed up at half voltage(designed that way, by BAT's resident Rocket Scientist, OBVIOUSLY for a reason). My SS bottom end amp, TacT pre, and Phono pre, stay powered up 24/7. My tubed mains amps are powering up at least an hour before listening. I'm certain Julian Hirsch(of Everything-sounds-the-same fame) would be proud of those that can hear no differences in well warmed up gear(or perhaps: have never heard well warmed up gear). BUT- As long as YOU are happy with your system's presentation- HAPPY LISTENING!
paperweight- Who was it that admitted they don't know what they are talking about? Certainly NOT ME! I've probably forgotten more about audio gear, than you will ever know. I've been building, modding and repairing pro and home equipment for over thirty years(the better part of that time: professionally). NOR did I say, "the manufacturer says." What is TRULY, "ridiculous", is your lack of comprehension skills. My reason for leaving SS gear on, is the sound quality(which is everything to me), rather than longevity. Everything simply sounds better that way. If you can't hear any difference, or are simply satisfied with your mediocrity; What do I care? Like I said, "HAPPY LISTENING!"
NOR did I say, "I can't explain why." There are numerous reasons. ie: It takes some time for the dielectrics within capacitors to fully form/absorb their charge, once they have been discharged(http://www.designers-guide.org/Modeling/da.pdf), and they WILL NOT sound the same, before and after. The better the dielectric(ie: Teflon, polypropylene, polystyrene), the longer that process takes. Regardless of what facts are presented; those of you that are concrete(thoroughly mixed up, and completely set) in your beliefs, will NEVER be convinced! Why bother trying? Tooth Fairy? One thing of which I AM now fully convinced: YOU are King of Unfounded Assumptions(especially regarding others, their knowledge, experience and capabilities.
Blah, blah, blah! Again- your being comprehensively challenged, has revealed itself. The very first paragraph of that treatise states, "Less appreciated, but no less important, is the
role it plays in determining the quality factor, or Q, of the capacitor. Dielectric absorption
has both storage and loss components that act, and are significant, over the entire
usable frequency range of the capacitor." That audio signals are much more complex, and their components more delicate, than anything that might pass a sample and hold circuit, obviously escapes you. Nor am I surprised that you do not understand how DA would relate to powering a circuit up and down. I believe I mentioned that, regardless of facts presented; I would not expect one such as you, to be convinced, in the least. It seems I have entered a battle of wits, with an unarmed individual. Enjoy, "The Last Word." You have become quite tedious.
paperweight- let me rephrase something: Make that, "Comprehensively comprehensionally challenged", just for clarity.