Do preamps have a material affect on high level sources?

It would seem that a preamp is merely attenuating a DAC output. How can it alter the signal?
If it doesn't degrade the signal, would logic dictate that at best it has no affect.
Help me understand
vjpacor
There are two ways to look at the question being asked, what you measure and what you hear. Different preamps DEFINITELY sound different in the same system. Whether they add coloration, distortion, or whatever else, is a matter of taste and what you like your music to ultimately sound like. The idea of daisy chaining several preamps is simply silly unless you want to show off your equipment rack.
By the way, the topic has previously been discussed ad nauseam and a quick search can/will prevent a long and pointless debate. 
My Benchmark DAC3 L is directly connected to whatever amp I happen to be running.  I also route my Rega RP10/Parasound JC3+ through the analog input to the main amp also.
I have not powered up my preamp since installing the DAC into the system last November.

A good preamp will have very low distortion at the levels needed to drive a power amp and wider bandwidth than the source.

The main things that a good preamp brings to the table is a better volume control than the ones found in most DACs (there isn't a good way to do volume control in the digital domain) plus the ability to drive the interconnect cable to the amplifier properly, so as to minimize the effects of that cable. I've yet to see a DAC that deals effectively with either of these issues.

We sell a lot of our line stages to digital-only people- they run the DAC volume all the way up so as to minimize the the damage done by that control and use the preamp volume instead. The preamp then can drive long cables where their DAC can't. In this way they report that the use of a good line stage is more transparent and more musical- more like real music.

Note my use of the word 'good' above; many line stages are not up to the fairly simple tasks I outlined above, and so do damage rather than help.
A question. Out of curiosity. Atmasphere you talk of how an active pre can minimize cable effects, and you know what you are talking about and not me. But thinking about that, I was wondering something else regarding the active pre’s effect.
Does the thing that provides the voltage or current or whatever on the sources output, 2 volts or whatever it is, effect the finalized sound? So does that 'thing on a source that provides the output' vary among source components? If so that may make a difference in choosing an active pre or passive pre for sound advantages? If so maybe the active pre is helping out a poorer signal coming directly out of the source in that regard over a passive? Just wondering.