Do I really need Desoldering for replacing resistors/caps?

To replace such as resistors or caps.  Do I really need to get desoldering gun?   I was thinking to replace some of resistors and caps on ARC LS7.  The cheapest I seen was Hakko desoldering FR300-05 for $265, not sure if it worth it to buy it and will only use it once for this LS7.
Thank you,
eddy1

Showing 1 response by solman989

You will need a decent iron to melt the existing solder.  Make sure it can get hot enough and more importantly has a tip of sufficient mass depending on how much metal is connected to the joint you are heating.  I would skip the desoldering irons as it is basically a soldering iron (which you will need to buy anyway for reinstalling your caps) attached to a bulb pump. 

Then all you need is a solder sucker to remove the old caps.  I've used the cheap plastic $5 ones but the one I recommend is the Engineer SS-02.

http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-SS-02-Solder-Sucker/dp/B002MJMXD4

It has a flexible silicone tip that can withstand the heat of the iron.  Just place that sucker (no pun intended) over the whole joint while your iron is on it, and it will form a seal around it for effect solder removal.