DO CABLES REALLY MATTER?

Yes they do.  I’m not here to advocate for any particular brand but I’ve heard a lot and they do matter. High Fidelity reveal cables, Kubala Sosna Elation and Clarity Cable Natural. I’m having a listening session where all of them is doing a great job. I’ve had cables that were cheaper in my system but a nicely priced cable that matches your system is a must.  I’m not here to argue what I’m not hearing because I have a pretty good ear.  I’m enjoying these three brands today and each is presenting the music differently but very nicely. Those who say cables don’t matter. Get your ears checked.  I have a system that’s worth about 30 to 35k retail.  Now all of these brands are above 1k and up but they really are performing! What are your thoughts. 
calvinj
french_fries,

Thanks for the post full of sanity. The road so far has been a little different.

Per aspera ad astra.

It is hard to beat Blaupunkt car radio. Maybe Becker Mexico, but even that is a big "maybe".
It all depends on where you get off and what you’re trying to accomplish. My debutante ball was with Mapleshade at CES way back when. The (Ron Bowman, Pierre’s partner) interconnects are 54 ga or whatever, thinner than a human hair, which produce either almost no skin effect or all skin effect, I forget which. The Mapleshade cables sound really spectacular, by the way. I had brought along my Nimbus sub Hertz iso platform to isolate the Nakamichi Dragon CD System that included a unique feature: when a CD is inserted into the CD player a vacuum is produced around the CD transport for a stage of isolation. All cables and power cords (also ultra thin) were suspended from eye hooks on the ceiling with thread. The whole wild and crazy look of the Mapleshade/Machina Dynamica/Gallo room prompted someone  was it Shannon Dickson?  at Stereophile magazine to write that it look like something out of Plan 9 from Outer Space.

E pluribus unum.

geoff kait
machina dynamica

Everyone should buy more expensive cables, especially if they can't hear the difference between what they already have. You have to consider directionality, skin effect, interference by gamma, cosmic and Wi-Fi signals plus secret government wavelengths.

Then there's 2G, 3G, and 4G. Of course the game's up when 5G comes but in the meantime I advise everyone to send every last cent they have on the most expensive cables they can find. And every time a more expensive cable comes along you must buy that too.

You just can't take any chances these days. The fact that some say a straightened coat hanger sounds just as good as $1000 per metre cable just shows how unrefined their palette must be. No, I don't need any figures on resistance, induction or capacitance. I prefer to trust my ears. I had them recently checked only 20 years ago.

Now pass me another glass of Screaming Eagle Cabernet 1992. At $500k a bottle it's got to be worth every cent.

In a modern recording, I’m wondering how much of the signal passed from the mic to the engineer over whatever cables at the studio is left by the time it passes through the computer they’re processing/mixing on. I assume almost all of the sound staging for most of our recordings is entirely fake. I’d bet every instrument is processed and equalized and run through DSP filters. I’d say it’s much more likely that we’re buying cables to better hear the recording, and that recording is loosely connected to the signal at the mic.

I’m off to UPS now to pick up my Cable Company library order. I’m really interested in knowing what my first impressions are, hypnosis or not. I do agree with the statement above that if I have to really strain to hear a difference, then it’s not worth my money to upgrade.
Whoa! What? Hey, that’s a lot of assumptions. Why assume anything?