Denon DV-2200 vs 2900

Am looking for an all format player. From what I've read it sounds like the Denon's fit somewhere in between the laid back sound of say the Philips/Sony players and the somewhat more upfront sound of the Pioneers.

Interestingly, Absolute Sound reviewed the 2900 and didn't like it much, yet same reviewer liked the 2200. Seems odd to me but certainly possible. In other places though the 2900 gets pretty high marks. Anyone have any experience with the two who can give me another opinion on these 2 players. Any other suggestions in the 300-600 price range. I am most concerned with SACD and DVD-A playback, as I will use a DAC for redbook CD playback. Video performance is secondary.
gmueller

Showing 1 response by elevick

I love my 2200. I agree that the 2900 sounded "different". Also, for the money difference, the 2900 wasn't worth it unless you need more connections.

I don't have any vibration problems with my unit and the sound is spectacular. I wouldn't bother considering an external d/a unless you plan to spend big bucks.

Do I like this unit better than my old marantz with a CAL Alpha d/a-YES. The alpha was a bit warmer but overall the denon is worth the money. It plays everything quite nicely.

The only quirk/problem I've had is that sometimes it wants to wait/hesitates with some commands (ie if I push menu then decide to stop a disc, it will get stuck in the menu loop first).

I would take it over the comparable sony and pioneer units.