DENON DL-304. Is it the bargain sound or not?

Hello to everyone!
I leave in Greece and it is the first time to write as a member of Audiogon.
First of all I would like to clarify that I am glad to join with your great company!
I like the “analog” site of music, so I have a couple of questions to do.

My current system is:Preamplifier: Onkyo P-304, Power Amplifier: Onkyo M-504, Loudspeakers: Scandyna Blueroom – Minipods, Subwoofer: Blueroom Bass Station, Turntable: Technics SL-1210 MK2, Cartridge: Denon DL-304. The problem is that the sound is very “bright” when I play music with my turntable. I mean that in many discs, the high frequencies are more aggressive than they should be.
delamostre1

Showing 10 responses by delamostre1

Thanks very much Fleib for your answers!
Today my Denon DL-304 was gone! A guy that take it, he will put it in a Pioneer PL-L1, with a hi-end preamplifier.

I agree with you that my preamp will better support the MM cartridges.
So.. wich model do you think is better for my case?
I have several cartridges in my mind such as Nagakoka MP-500, Audio-Technica AT-150 MLX, or Grado Gold.
Do you have any other syggestions to do for me? My budget is up to $600 but it would be prefered to look for lower prices.

Thanks again for your great support all of you!!!!
Fleib & Johnnyb53, thanks both of you for your interesting and for your answers.
I must test some of these cartridges in my system, to have a conclusion. Most of all I am considering to test the Grado, Clearaudio & AT.

About the solution of vintage carts that Fleib mentioned, I think that is a better solution to buy one of these. The older tech of those MM carts may be better than the newest ones. I suppose that a Shure V15 or a Technics EPC-100C Mk3 are very nice solutions.
The point is, as you mention, the condition of the needle. May be the better way to have a new needle is Jico with SAS technology.
I have a Shure M91ED cartridge with an original NOS needle, that I bought it a week ago. The sound compared to Denon DL-160, has some "points".
This cart plays better in low & middle frequencies, but is disappointing at highs. Do you think is a good start, to buy a SAS replacement needle from Jico for M91ED? Is this a better solution, or I must buy a new one from those you mentioned, to have better results from the combination of Shure M91ED – Jico SAS?
May be your preamp has great matching with Denon DL-103.
In my situation with Onkyo P-304 preamp, i don't think that i have any chance to hear Denon carts...

So my final selection will be under 3 different products.
Audio Technica AT-150MLX, Grado Gold, Ortofon black.

Does anyone have any opinion, about those three diamonds?
Thanks both of you for your answers!

Psam, the Grado gold I think that is a very good cart, but I suppose that is not properly shielded. I agree with you for 304, it is very difficult to match with my preamp and with more of other companies.

Johnnyb53, the Rega Exact has an output of 7,2mV vs AT that has 4mV! Although it has almost the double price of Audio Technica 150 MLX and better output, the AT kills Rega??
Wow! I think i should be run to buy it immediately! :-)

I will put it first in my list and I suppose that will be my final choice!
Hi John!!
In the below links you can see the specs of my phono stage Onkyo P-304 preamplifier:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8180/onkyop308preamppage12ph.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6859/p304ompage10.jpg

I suppose that the phono input has 180pf (as shown from the schematic diagram)

My Technics turntable SL-1210 MK2 has the factory original cablew. This turntable is the last of Technics product production. The manufacture date is "October 2010), so the cables are from the last factory modification.

Can you help me to find the final capacitance, including cables & phono stage?

Thank you very much for your great support!!!
I have a friend that has a different set up, with a Luxman Pre C-3 and Power Amp M-3, a Victor TT-81 turntable, with UA-7045 tonearm and B&W 803 Matrix loudspeakers.

When we put the Denon DL-304 cartridge to Victor turntable, the results where exactly the same. The vinyl that we test the sound is “Chuck Mangione - Children of Sanchez “.

I think that the “problem” is Denon, so my question is: “Can you suggest me what I can do? Is it the best way to replace the cartridge with another and with witch? Is there any other solution without replacing it?”

A friend of mine proposed me the Audio – Technica AT-150MLX cartridge for better results. If I replace the Denon with AT, do I have better results or worse? Is there any cartridge with better sound than Denon in that budget of money?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi Fleib!!!
I think that it is the most interesting solution i "ve ever heard until today!!

Could you be more specific in order to arrange the test?
Hi everyone again!
I have done just what Fleib says. I have construct 8 pairs of RCA connectors, with resistances as parallel load with Y adapters for the two channels of my preamp.
The results dissapointed me.
The most "closer" sound for my taste was with 76 Ohms & 93 Ohms plugs.
Comparing with the previous situation (directly connected to my preamp) there was a better balance in high frequencies and a litle bit more bass. The middles become worse and nothing was comparable with my other turntable combination (Lenco L-75 with Denon DL-160).
I suppose that Technics SL-1200 MK2 with Denon DL-304 combination, was not make any better results from the other turntable, on the contrary... it was MUCH worse!
So.. after my last attempt to change the sound, the conclusion is that i must change the Denon DL-304, because i don't have any possibility for better matching, with my Onkyo's P-304 preamplifier MC phono stage...