Denon 5800 as preamp in "pure direct" mode?

I am trying to upgrade the two channel audio performance of my home theater. I have purchased a two channel amp (McCormack DNA-2 DLX)to connect to the pre-outs of my Denon 5800 receiver's front left and right speakers (Paradigm Ref. Studio 100's). I am wondering if anyone has an opinion of the Denon as a two channel preamp in the "pure direct" mode? Is this severly degrading signal quality? Would I benefit greatly from adding a proper preamp with a home theater pass through to my system?
emiliop

Showing 1 response by nighthawk

Is it severely degrading signal quality? No, but it can be improved upon. See my system. I thought it worthwhile to add the external preamp, even though the 5800 is still in the loop. For some reason, the power amp sounds better driven from the preamp than from the 5800. It probably has something to do with the power and pre-amp both running in balanced mode.

That said, if you try out some good cables, you might find you are happy enough with the sound that you don't need an external preamp.

If you are thinking about upgrading your speakers, I would do that first. It will make more of a difference than a preamp.