DCM TF-400 info wanted

I just picked a set of these up from our local CL. Guy said he was the original owner and they appear to be in excellent condition, although I haven't had a chance to hook them up yet.

I remember hearing about these years ago, but have very little knowledge of the speakers so I wanted to see if any of you are familiar with these and if so, I'd appreciate any info you can provide, i.e. when they were made, good equipment matches, etc. In general just wanting to find out what I can about the speakers.

Thanks.
jack_dotson

Showing 3 responses by tonyjack

I have a pair and the DCM Logo is near the upper left corner of both speakers. Don't know if that's correct or not but they sound good and really are great at imaging. I use them in a bedroom system with a Tact 2150 driving them which is probably over kill but that's what it is for now. I'd say these were not the most detailed speakers but very forgiving and easy to listen to with a great sound stage and imaging.
Yes, when facing the speakers, both have the DCM Logo on the upper left side. The drivers are the same configuration on both speakers as well.. For what I paid 3 or 4 years ago ($100) they are really good sounding for an alternate system. I think the imaging and sound stage are quite nice. Most people that have heard them are impressed and they have quite a following. There is a lot of discussion on the audiokarma site about DCM.
Yes, the Maggie ref is accurate. I'm kind of drawn to that sort of sound as well. I have the Maggie 1.6 and the Vandersteen 3A Sigs in other systems (I'm really strung out on this hobby) and the non fatiguing musical presentation is what I respond to. I do think the Maggies and Vandy's give me plenty of detail and accuracy contrary to what some people have said. The Vandersteens are much more difficult to get "right" at least for me. But now I think I have them figured out.
I've used the DCM's with some different power including a Hafler TA 1600, Fisher 201 receiver and now the TACT 2150 in my bedroom. They sing with all of them. Enjoy the Timeframe TF 400's. Really nice little speakers.