Conrad Johnson--does anyone use this brand anymore?

Does anyone have any opinions re Conrad Johnson Phono Pre amps?   
Versus other brands?

I currently have TEASE2---but need step up transformer for cartridge.

Thoughts---?

bluesnbike1954

Showing 5 responses by coppy777

I've owned most c-j pre and power amps since the Premier days, both solid state and tube.  Currently running a GAT pre, LP140 monos, a Premier 350 and the TEA1bc phono.  I know the company well... Bill and Lew are two very smart guys, both PHDs.  The company has a well conceived perpetuation plan and is now run day to day by Jeff Fischel, the next generation of management. Jeff has been the technical guy behind the scenes for many years.  Fischel has taken over ownership with Bill and Lew still very active.  Their business is good with many products going to Europe and Asia where tube equipment is highly respected.  They have just announced a new generation entry level preamp with GAT style technology.  Great products and no worries.
Hey jafant,

Speakers are Wilson Yvette (a nice upgrade from Sasha 1), most cables are Wireworld silver over copper, a JA Audio f113 sub, Marantz SA7 S1 CD/SACD, Ayre QB9 DAC, Shunyata power conditioning, Magnum Dynalab Tuner, MacBook Pro running Tidal, Qobuz, Audrivana and Roon.  Happy Camper here.
jafant... yes, everything was purchased new.  That was a while ago however and I still use it regularly.  It's very powerful.  BTW, for anybody who'd interested, the c-j LP140 monos came with 6550 power tubes.  After a few years and at the suggestion of Lew Johnson, I replaced them with KT120s.  Nice sounding and lots of headroom.  Those tubes are now about five years old.  I was talking with Jeff Fischel at c-j a few weeks ago and he recommended Gold Lion KT88s.  Just put a set of them in this week... a nice improvement, better mids and way more dynamic.  Very pleased.

LinnLingo... Mr. Johnson, Lew, heard of your earlier comment and wanted to make it clear that he is very much with us and doing just fine. In fact he is working harder and doing more daily to support the company since the sale to Jeff than he has in some time. He and Bill are both not 75 years old and really have deep concern for the future of conrad-johnson.  That business is their legacy and they both want and expect c-j to continue indefinitely into the future.  Their product quality and design philosophy have always reflected the long view.
I think all agree that Mr. Pass is an excellent designer.  Not suggesting you should change anything, but modern c-j amplifiers are just that bit more linear.  Some miss the golden sound, while most enjoy the expanded accuracy.  And, don't you miss that something that comes with tube sound?  My P350 is excellent even today but I always come back to the LP140s.  It's a personal choice and a great deal depends on our speaker choices as well.  I'm a Wilson guy with a new pair of Yvettes.