Comparing Speaker Cables

I have accumulated several pairs of speaker cables that I have never tried to do careful A/B comparisons of because the time it takes to swap them is longer than my audio memory. But my speakers are bi-wired and it occurred to me that I could hook two different cables up and then only swap them at the amp which would be much faster. Is there any sonic downside to having a pair of unconnected cables hanging off one of the sets of inputs while the second set is connected to the amp?

pinwa

Showing 1 response by jerryg123

If you have a speaker switch (pass through A/B) that did not add distortion had 2 sets of the same speaker, and your 2 wires for comparison from the same source. A listening test may work but would still be subjective to many.

I am sure people will find fault in this method and will only work if you have 2 sets of the same speakers in the same operating condition.

Or go buy some sound analysis software to take a stab at determining what cable or wire will work for you.

You really need to control the variables to make any real determination and remove well guessing.

Have a great day.

I Robot