Coaxials - Reality vs. Experience?

Should say "hype vs. reality" in the headline. 

Coaxial speaker design has been around in one way or another for a long time. I often think I’ll be absolutely blown away by them, but in practice traditional vertical layout speakers often have sound as good, or have other features that make them sound better.

Thiel, KEF, Monitor Audio, Tekton, Seas are among the many players attempting such designs, but none has, by the coaxial drivers alone, dominated a segment of the market.

What are your listening experiences? Is it 1 coaxial speaker that won you over, or have you always preferred them?

erik_squires

@johnah5   Funny that you should mention the Hsu coax speaker, the CCB-8. I modified mine with an upgraded, external crossover, better wiring, internal panel damping, and high passed at 80hz, then going to a Audiokinesis subwoofer swarm. Amps are VTV Purifi mono blocks, Benchmark LA4. Remarkable!  Serious definition, clarity, soundstage/imaging, dynamics. Here's a wealthy audiophile with a million dollar system that uses his Hsu CCB-8's to blow people away-

Wow small world.  If you don't mind can you tell me where you got the cross over?  I have NSMT 100's so thinking of just using these as they are and take them with me when I travel for a month at a time. I am stunned at how they sound with my SPL 1200 and SPL Director. 

thanks

jh

@johnah5 

We built our own using same values as the stock x-over, but way-upgraded parts quality- Goertz inductors, V-cap ODAMs and Miflex caps, Path audio resistors, we went nuts- would not fit inside the speaker so we mounted it in outboard box. Also lined the inside panels with "No-Rez". Driver is hard-wired to the x-over.  It's amazing, a real diamond in the rough!

Got it and did it make a significant diff?  Did you modify the cabinets?

Thanks

I have owned both types and time aligned speakers. It think it is all hype. I think it matters a bit but frequency response, dispersion, port noise etc are all more important.