Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Jeremy - Thanks for your info on the Richter CD's but as I don't buy any CD's nowadays I shall wait till it comes out on Idagio and sample it there. While on the subject of pianists can I recommend one to you , his name is Ivan Bessonov and we are going to hear a lot from him in the future. Think if you will a young Pollini and mix in a bit of Perahia and I think you have a wizard of a pianist. At the moment I am totally hooked on him and when these recordings were made he was only 16 !!!! . It is an all Chopin disc with three compositions of his own thrown in . On his original stuff I would think Chopin , Alkan and Scriabin without any atonal writing which all todays composers feel they have to do to get anywhere ( WELL I HATE IT ).
Well, having worked through several CDs of worthy but unexceptional music and/or performance, I'm back today with the group ACRONYM and their Biber CD entitled The Battle, The Bethel & the Ball.  Music by Biber or (mainly) anonymous but attributed to him.  Based on the one I already heard by them, I figured their other recordings would be something special, and I was right.  Exceptional music, exceptional playing, and an exceptional playing.  You only have to hear 5 second to know you're going to enjoy the whole disc.  This is the first of several Biber CDs lined up for the coming days, and I'm hoping for a veritable cordillera of highlights.
To chase away homeless people, 7-Eleven stores in L.A. use classical music
that's headline from LA Timesthey install speakers at entrance to the store, and play classical music to deter homeless people from hanging out

No doubt Noriega would have surrendered in minutes if he'd been subjected to a few bars of Bach or Mozart...

Today, the ensemble that decided to call itself The Rare Fruits Council, performing Biber's Harmonia Artificioso-Ariosa.  Delightful music.  But geez, when you achieve a revealing system, you start noticing little faults in the recording engineering.  This CD is excessively panned left and right, and doesn't convey a lot of stage depth.  Enjoyable nonetheless.
7-Eleven will chase more young people away than the homeless .
I have considerable experience with the homeless , you'd be surprised how many like classical .