Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Post removed 
Richter

I think it was Jim who mentioned that most Richter recordings are technically below par.  So I wanted to steer you to a set by Richter that is exceptional.  It was published by Phillips, and is titled "The Essential Richter", consisting of 5 cds, and yes there is an audience, but their noise is downmixed to inoffensive. 
It is available at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Richter-Sviatoslav/dp/B0000262ZN
Jeremy - Thanks for your info on the Richter CD's but as I don't buy any CD's nowadays I shall wait till it comes out on Idagio and sample it there. While on the subject of pianists can I recommend one to you , his name is Ivan Bessonov and we are going to hear a lot from him in the future. Think if you will a young Pollini and mix in a bit of Perahia and I think you have a wizard of a pianist. At the moment I am totally hooked on him and when these recordings were made he was only 16 !!!! . It is an all Chopin disc with three compositions of his own thrown in . On his original stuff I would think Chopin , Alkan and Scriabin without any atonal writing which all todays composers feel they have to do to get anywhere ( WELL I HATE IT ).
Well, having worked through several CDs of worthy but unexceptional music and/or performance, I'm back today with the group ACRONYM and their Biber CD entitled The Battle, The Bethel & the Ball.  Music by Biber or (mainly) anonymous but attributed to him.  Based on the one I already heard by them, I figured their other recordings would be something special, and I was right.  Exceptional music, exceptional playing, and an exceptional playing.  You only have to hear 5 second to know you're going to enjoy the whole disc.  This is the first of several Biber CDs lined up for the coming days, and I'm hoping for a veritable cordillera of highlights.