Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
For lack of room, and time left on earth , I use what one could call baseball parlance in buying LP’s which I prefer over CD’s .
I look for a triple, by which I mean the work is the composers best(or close to it) and, the conductor and orchestra are in their prime .
One example is Walton’s 1st Symphony with Previn and the LSO . One of the greatest recordings ever made.I assume most on here are aware of this but if brings it to just one more will be a good day’s work .

Another is the great Vaughn Williams outing of the "A London Symphony" bySir John Barbirolle with his Halle Orchestra . Vanguard SRV-134.A caveat is Williams made so many masterworks you could argue all week as to his best .Her did however let it be known this was his favorite symphony .
My favorite symphony of Vaughan-Williams as well.  There’s a great LP of it with Vernon Handley on the Classics for Pleasure label.

On a different subject, I’m finally discovering the true treasure of streaming on IDAGIO. I’m finding whole new areas of enjoyment, such as Baroque opera.
One can get into a rut of listening to the familiar.  What a pleasure to serendipitously discover new masterworks.
Also, the sound quality is first rate.

Does IDAGIO have much early music ?I guess I’m in a rut but as Brahms op.115 in there with me I don’t mind .
Over the decades as they in reference to his music as "autumnal", I figured they were not talking about leaves .At 80+ I can tell you his music is comfort food to the elderly , as Claude Rostand put it , "a portrayal of resignation , melodiously enveloped in tenderness" .I still think that for pure intellect no composer was his better .

I have heard the Hadley and yes it is very good indeed . But Barbirolli had his Halle as sharp as the best German knife .
IDAGIO does have a good amount of early music.

The first movement of op. 115 is as close to heaven as you can get.

btw, I turn 80 next month.
No wonder you are so wise !I might check it out then , a lot of the best of early music is hard to find and expensive when one does .
I often wonder if Brahms music was better or worse  given that he had severe what we now call PTST .How great it is that he is buried 10 feet away from Schubert in  Vienna .
The Viennese knew that was as it should be .