Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
@jcazador, I found your link and wanted to play it through my Bluesound, but only the Chopin Concerto #1 came up.
I have to say it is unbelievable. How they got rid of all the noise, yet keep the sonic atmosphere is a testament to human ingenuity. Though when I listen to music recorded in pre WWII Germany, I am stunned by the sound quality they captured even then. 
@twoleftears ,
Steven Hough is one talented guy. 
Richard (RVpiano) came to listen to my system and I played the Hummel Concerto #2- something he played in his earlier years- and we both enjoyed his performance- Mr. Hough's, that is.
Bob
@jcazador

JC I have been listening to Radu Lupu’s boxset and must say it is most enjoyable. At this very moment I am listening to Schumann’s Kinderzenen and it is stunning to listen to , the extrovert movements are gloriously virtuosic. Although it won’t supplant my version by Claudio Arrau it is most definitely able to stand side by side to it. It is very nice to hear the digital transfers that have been expertly cleaned up , there is not a trace of tape hiss anywhere. I don’t know about the rest of you but I always thought Decca didn’t serve him too well as the record pressings I had of him were noisy and had an opaque cloud over them but these digital transfers now do him justice. Also a lot of the recordings were produced in the Kingsway Hall in London one of the best halls in the world for recording but how Decca could fog that glorious acoustc I fail to understand. I shall return to these performances with regularity.I have been reading your comments about Moritz Rosentahl and did you know that he was never recorded until he was in his 70s but the playing never sounded tired. Although Liszt said that his best pupils were Tausig and d’Albert he always refered to Rosentahl when one of his students was flagging and then Rosentahl would take control of the keyboard to spectacular affect. I feel that Rosentahl was the precursor to Godowsky as when he was young difficulties in execution just didn’t exist. Unfortunately Tausig died when he was very young so we don’t even have acoustic performances to guage from but from statements from other pupils who heard him they said his tecnique was even better in some areas than Liszts. d’Albert lost his concert tecnique because he only wanted to write operas and the handful of piano rolls he left are very poor.Once again thanks for the tip about Lupu.

my latest "discovery"
Victor Ryachikov plays Mikhail Glinda, Complete Piano Music (3 cd)
Ryachikov writes:
For a long time the works that Glinka wrote for piano have been considered methodical and suitable only for study at music schools. I believe this is a wrong attitude.
To the attentive listener this music is redolent with feeling and delicate nuance. It is music full of love, tenderness, expression and humour; music of elegant simplicity and nobility. When played by pupils it can often seem primitive, even pompous.
This is because it needs a simplicity and naturalness that is very difficult to
achieve. It is as difficult to play as is the music of Mozart. My primary wish is for Giinka's piano music to return to the concert stage. I have been playing this music for many years and in many parts of the world and it never fails to touch people's souls. The pieces also complement excellently the works of other great composers in a programme. A love for this music, once born, never dies. Many of the pieces featured among these recordings are little known and are recorded here for the first time.
OK, Perahia/Abbado complete Schumann works for piano/orchestra.  Just listened now.  This is by some measure my favorite version of the concerto.  Excellent!
I don't remember who recommended it, but my thanks to whoever in this thread recommended Arrau/Haitink for the Beethoven ## 4 and 5.  Listening very happily now.

By the way, if anyone says decently set up systems can't project a soundstage outside the left and right speakers, listen to this recording.  The orchestra is spread from several feet left of left to several feet right of right.