Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
It's too bad that children aren't given a chance to listen to live music when they are young. I think it would foster a greater appreciation of what music is and how it got there.
How I came to love Classical is beyond me. Like rvpiano, it 'spoke' to me, despite my parents thinking I was nuts.
B
Post removed 
gdnrbob, that’s mandatory in Finnish Schools which are # 1 in the world .
Were about where we are, about# 28, 30 years ago, but music, no homework and a few
other like things have made Finnish kids LOVE school , you love, you learn !

Also, in Finland it’s harder to get into the Primary Education School than in
the Medical School . Only their very best they have for the kids .
To get back to Mahler. I have to admit to out and out disliking him at first. Much like the great Decca classical producer John Culshaw who worked with the greatest conductors on some of the most famous recordings who refused to produce records of his music because listening to it made him ill. I am not making this up.

Through time my feelings have changed and though still not one of my favorite composers may I recommend one of the all time great recordings if excellent mono is acceptable? Dimitri Mitropoulos and Minneapolis doing the Titan on Masterworks Heritage. If you have any interest in classical symphonic music at all this must be heard. Just maybe not on an audiophile system if you have a second one more forgiving of older mono recordings.
Just listening to three symphonies (35,36,38) by the miracle that is Mozart.
Whereas, arguably, Haydn may be the better symphonist, and unarguably, Mozart’s piano concertos are more inspired, his symphonies are gems of creation, perhaps with a greater divine spark than are Haydn’s, although not as clever.
How do you feel?