Classic preamp for Plinius SA-102: need advise

I have the newest (and the best, for me) Plinius power amp. The SA-102. It is an expensive amp so my budjet for a preamp is therefore small (1000-2000 US$). BUT, reading some commnents on old classic preamps I found out that I may
get a used preamp which is as good or even better than the ones that are manufactured today.

Could you please give me a hand on this? Here it goes:

1. I do not have a turntable (so phono is not an issue).
2. The Plinius has lots of punch, impact and an extremely open sound. So I am looking for a tube preamp with a liquid (but not too much coloured, of course), soft highs and good bass, plus with LOTS of air.

I thought that maybe an older Audio Research (the SP-10 seems to be bad for CD; maybe the LS-5?) or a nice Jadis might be good mates for my Plinius. What would you advise me (brand and models)?

Tejo
tejo5a2c

Showing 1 response by inpieces

I had the CDLAD and tried the Classe CP 47.5.
If you compare these two you'll notice the CP 47.5 will show you how much potential the SA-102 really has.
You will also gain a better calm and control to the overall performance. Further the CP 47.5 has a good compatability with the SA-102 (impedance match well!)

The CDLAD's bass seems further away, it also has less body in the upperbass/ midrange. The soundstage and dynamical impact will also be bettered with the CP 47.5.
With CDLAD, vocals and guitars will seem much closer and drums and basslines will sound lesser/ thinner without there appropiate weight and richness.

I had 3 friends in and and performed a blind test, no-one prefered the CDLAD before the CP 47.5.
I can also tell you that there is an uppgrade kit avaible for the CP 47.5. With this uppgrade done you will notice a better blackness/ a better background silence, and some improvement of (especially inner) resolution
and microdynamics.
I had the CDLAD mark 1 and it had such an excessive gain through the XLR connection, the noise levels severely disturbed the pleasure of listening. I had mine sent back to Plinius for this.