Classe Model Ten or McCormack DNA-125? Or...?

Hi all, 

Putting together a new (used) system and looking for some comments on amp and integrateds. My current preamp is a McCormack RCD-1, but that will change if I go with an integrated. Speakers are Vandy 2C’s. I have the following speakers cables in my stock: Mogami W3082, Kimber 4TC and Audioquest CV-4. Interconnects choices are Mogami 2549 And Kimber PBJ.

I can pick up the Classe Model 10 for $400. The McCormack DNA-125 will be $775. I’m sure the symergy with the McCormack pieces will be great, but wondering how the Classe and RLD-1 would sound together? 

If I decide on an integrated, I’m considering a Roksan K2, which has 125 wpc at 8 ohms. The only other integrated I would consider is maybe a Naim XS, but I think the 60wpc is a little lite for the Vandys.

jsbach1685

Showing 1 response by jsbach1685

Wow, it seems pretty unanimous that the Mack 125 is the way to go. In the end, I can see myself going that way as well. So I guess as far as integrateds are concerned, the Roksan K2 isn’t anywhere near either of the power amps and RLD pre? The only reason I brought up the Classe and the Integrated possibilities is cost. I can save $375 getting the Classe, then use that savings towards a cd player—which I also need. Yes, I still use cd as it’s my reference. I also listen to vinyl and stream/aiff through itunes (iphone/ipad) to an HRT iStreamer. I guess I was kinda hoping the Classe was on par sound wise with the Mack 125. However, if push comes to shove, I can hold-off on a cd player for awhile and use streaming and vinyl. There was another integrated I was considering, and it even comes with the matching cd player, was a Cairn 4808 and fog v2 soft cd player. However, I’ve discovered that the 4808 is the class-A version (not north face) and is  30wpc. Although, when you look under the hood of the 4808A, it shows large double toroidal transformers. It must be a very healthy 30wpc, but I guess is still way little for the Vandys.