Classe Amps

Looking at a Classe CAP 150 vs. a Krell 400xi

How does an older amp like the Classe compare with newer amps such as the Krell.

Or, how does the Classe compare with today's amps in the $2000 range (the retail price of the Classe 8 years ago)

Planning to use the Classe as the front end of my system (to run my mains) and a home theater amp for the other speakers. Any drawbacks to this?

Alot of questions, appreciate the input.

Thanks
butterscotchmusic

Showing 1 response by jdeaton0622

Sorry to hear you’re having problems hifirookie. My amplifier repair experience with Classé in late 2016 could not have been more different from yours. Curious did you send you amp back tot he factory in Quebec?   This website http://www.bwgroupsupport.com/service/ra-request-cust still lists Classé as a brand they repair.

My used but still under warranty CA 5300 5 channel amp quit working. I corresponded with B&W Group’s International Customer Service coordinator, Robert Adam in Lachine Quebec. I told Robert I thought I could find a repair technicion here in the Atlanta area, but Robert insisted the amp come back to Canada.

Packaging and shipping the 130-pound hunk was not easy nor inexpensive. Tracking the repair progress on B&W Groups website was helpful, and the repair was completed in just a couple of days.

The whole transaction took about a month with transportation and clearing customs twice taking most of the time. Robert Adam and Arnold Brookhuis in the service department were very responsive to emails. When it was all said and done the repair was completed under warranty even though I was not the original purchaser. The unit has functioned perfectly ever sense.

I know Classé had closed its doors recently but it now appears they have been resurrected per the following 1/8/18 quote from Stereophile Magazine: “At CES in Las Vegas, it was announced that Sound United (Denon, Marantz, Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, Polk BOOM, HEOS, and Boston Acoustics) had acquired Classé Audio and that operations would be resumed under the leadership of Dave Nauber.”