Class D amp wyred4sound and B&W 803D

I still havent decided what to use to power my recently bought 803d, some days ago I asked about a match with a Primare integrated amp (I30) and got mixed responses. On the other hand, some suggested I use a spectron amp (class D), and I have just started noticing lots of good reviews for the Wyred4sound integrated amps, which use the ICE power module. Is anyone using one of the ST/STI int amps to push a set of b&w? Power should be enough with [email protected] I dont know how it will handle the low ohm loads and the final sonic characteristics.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Demian
demianm

Showing 9 responses by guidocorona

Not sure if 'tube-like' is particularly meaningful, as tubed component can exhibit just about any sound under the Sun. . . but if you mean "very musical". . . then the answer would be. . . definitely, some class D amps are indeed extremely musical. G.
Dob brings up a very important point, class D amplification has undergone an incredible evolution during the last 10 years. Recent offerings of most class D manufacturers are significantly more musically satisfying than what was available just a few years ago.

Not only designers are evolving their creations to optimize synergy with various proprietary and off-the-shelf power conversion modules, but users are progressively learning how best to integrate these emerging amplifiers into their systems.

I am starting to suspect for example, that some solid core ICs may not be appropriate with certain class D amps, and may generate audible intermodulation in complex treble passages, together with a certain unspecific thuddiness in the bass region. I will need to investigate further, but early results may suggest a possible correlation.

Besides W4S and Spectron, other non uber-expensive class D brands/series to consider are at least the current Bel canto Ref 500M and Ref 1000M monoblocks, H2O, and the Rowland 102, 201, and 501 offerings. The Rowland amps just mentioned yield their best only when fed DC through an external Rowland PC-1 power rectifier. For more elastic budgets, Chapter Audio, Rowland, Spectron, and even Levinson offer higher end class D products, ranging from $20K to over $40K.

In general, most class D amps exhibit transparency, excellent dynamics, and very good bass control on speakers with wabbly impedance. But, designers being totally human (just like audiophiles are), they make engineering and sonic decisions based on budget and personal musical preference. Therefore, class D amps sound as different as there are models on the market. . . In the end, it is worth while attempting to listen to a few different class D amps before dropping some final $$$$s.

Saluti, Guido
Mfsoa, you have peaked my interest. Can you post appropriate URLs for info on DAC amps?

Thanks. G. 
Mfsoa, What is DAC's phone number? Contact information for Digital Audio Company appears to be the World's best kept secret. . . their full address and phone number is neither on Audiogon, nor I was able to find it on the digitalamp.com web site. Could you post contact info here or send it to me via private msg? Thanks, G.
Thank you Knghifi, very much appreciated. . . but. . . the captia mechanism on AC required for sending a msg is both currently broken, and it is EXTREMELY difficult to use with the screen reading software I use (JAWS). It seems to me that a manufacturer of consumer products should be easier to contact than this for customers and reviewers alike. I'll wait for Mike to contact Tommy at this point. G.
Thank you Magnumpi205 for the Amazon suggestion. Saw the DAC equipment listed there. I do admit that at least   DAC appears to be very consistent. I could find no trace of company address or phone number. If the corporate goal of Digital Amplifier Co. were to defend their privacy to the utmost, they are admittedly succeeding admiringly well. G.
True enough Don, saw that. I found no company address nor phone number on AudioCircle either. DAC appears to be taking corporate security extremely seriously. G.
Magnumpi205 and all, I have been contacted by Tommy today. Hence my cheerful gripefest has happily ended. Thank you all for your assistance. G.