Class A into Class AB

What is the goal of a designer who makes intergrated amps that have class A for x amount of watts before it goes into class AB? Are there any examples of this being implemented well? I get this feeling that it’s kind of just a marketing thing...where people think they are getting some quality class A without the very high price tag. I was particularly looking at the CODA CSiB amps where you have three choices of how much of your first watts are class A. I have since found a few other respectable brands that implement this as well. I have yet to come across anyone who has heard much of difference between AB amps and one’s that’s state "first X amount of watts..." Class A/AB. Anyone have any experience with these kind of integrated amplifiers? Just looking for a little bit of understanding as I’m trying to upgrade my amplifier.
tmac1700
@unsound  As a general rule, I wouldn't disagree with your statement in the least. But in this particular instance, we're talking about Nelson Pass, who is, to say the least, not known for misleading.

@pjcoughter, I believe the meters were intended to entertain not mislead. I would hazard a guess that if asked, Nelson Pass would readily admit as much.
When I first put a voltmeter on speaker terminals I was “shocked” at how low the voltage was… and that was with 8 ohm speakers.

By the time you get to 4-5v it is almost shaking the house.
A meter is a pretty easy thing to make, and they have been doing those for around century.