CJ ET3SE OR 16LS Series 2

Hi,

I'm a complete neophyte -- especially when it comes to tube gear. I'm currently looking for a tube preamp to replace my "first system" solid state integrated. My budget is $3000 or less (would love to be less!). So, I'm looking to find something used, most likely. After a lot of reading, I'm pretty sure I want to get a used CJ ET3SE. But I wonder if I might not get more bang for the buck waiting in the weeds for a good 16L Series 2 in my price range. Other preamps I'm also considering: McIntosh C220 and 2200, Van Alstine FET Hybrid, Joule Electra LA 150 MKII.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to audition any of these. So, I'm really hoping for some input from people who have heard first hand and can provide advice.

Thanks so much!

My current system: Magnepan 12s, Linn LP12 (rebuilt Valhalla, Cirkus, Ittok, Adikt), Musical Surroundings Phonomena, NAD C320 BEE with power bypassed for a pair of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks.
rollo5

Showing 1 response by zd542

Both preamps are very good but I think you really need to do some listening before you buy anything. There's no other way to get it right. That said, if you are in a position where you can't demo, either one would be a huge improvment over your NAD. But that's just my opinion. Yours is the one that counts.