CD vs.same CD ripped to HD

Hi all,

So I hope this seemingly simple question doesn't star a war.  

The background is that I have a ton of CDs and am considering getting a Bluesound Vault 2i so that I can rip them to the Vault's HD, and play them from there. 

The simple question is: how does the SQ compare between the two?  The CD player is a Marantz SA-8004 digital out to a Denefrips Ares II DAC.  I would also use the digital out of the Vault 2i through that DAC.  

FWIW, I prefer vinyl (though it is getting closer and closer).  But more than anything I'm a music fan, with a whole lot of great music on silver discs.

Opinions??

Richard

rnm4
I use a Naim UnitiCore to rip and store the CD data.  It's ripper will read over and over the same spot if there is any problem to try and extract the correct data or determine what value to insert if it cannot read or it gets different results each time.  This is something that a CD player in real time may not be able to do.  Thus, the ripper has the potential to be better than a CD player.  The ripper also says whether there were any problem areas that had to be repaired by inserting data that is a guess. I have not had any CD where such repair had to be done, and I've ripped nearly 5,000 cds.  I had some where I noticed that progress or ripping temorarily stalls out, so that might be a region where multiple passes were needed to get a good reading, but ultimately, the ripper reported no problems.
 So can you add a Master Clock to a Streamer/Ripper to get the very best quality possible from a physical CD like you can with MSB/DCS/ESOTERIC spinners to name a few??
Yeah I can find most of my CDs on streaming cites too, But see the recent discussion of compression of the files that get streamed vs. the original CD.

Interesting thread! The solution I have arrived at is to use Sony MegaStorage 400CD units (3 units for a total of 1200 CD's) and connect them to external DACs. Two units connect to Denafrips Ares II in one system using optical inputs and one unit in a different system to Denafrips Pontus II). Sony's remote, large display and versatile U/I make it easy to randomly select CD's and tracks on each CD, almost like a CD jukebox. You can even create playlists or play random tracks across 400 CD's! I realize this is not a highly scalable solution: I can not handle 5000 CD's for example which would require ~12 MegaStorage CD400 units, but I can choose my better recordings and favorites on the three units I have.

Beyond that I use a Vault 2i and rip CD's, a task to be completed. That also connect to the Pontus II via Coax digital.

The external DAC was the key to puzzle of unlocking the sound quality on my CD collection, increasing  my appreciation of the collection tremendously :)