Cd player w/ digital input + volume control $2500

Folks,

I'm looking for a CD player with digital input capability and also variable output (volume control). My goal would be to run directly into an amp as it will be the only source component in my system.

I have 1200 or so CD's so I need a player, but I also want to feed from a Sonos, hence the digital input.

I used to have a Cary 303/300 and really liked the sound from it, but it does not have the digital input unfortunately, if I recall correctly.

I figure if I can forego the preamp, I can justify going as high as $3000 for the unit. Used would be OK if it is a reliable product.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on a device in the same quality as the 303/300 or better that meets these requirements.

If there are none that will satisfy my preferences, I'll probably drop the variable output in favor of going to a preamp. The digital inputs must be available, however.

Any recommendations? It looks like none of the Current Cary products will meet these requirements. Darn, I wish the 303/300 had digital inputs.

Thanks,

---Michael
mjm6

Showing 4 responses by ejlif

Wadia, Audio Aero players will do that and should be available for the price you want to pay.
I think you would be better off to get a good DAC. I've owned both the Wadia 860x and Audio Areo Capitole Mk 2 as well as a few other great CD players by Ayre and Meridian and to me they were all bettered by a DAC and a mac mini playing back the files. you can always hook up a transport like you say. I have also found that I've never really been happy with digital devices with volume control there was always something lacking vs running through a great preamp. If it were my money to spend I would put 2500 towards a preamp and spend 500 on a DAC. This is just the conclusion I've come to over many years of trial and error.
I haven't tried all the hot DACs of the moment but I've had a few and I would not hesitate to include the MHDT Paradisea + DAC into any sstem and be confident you are getting great sound. Very very big bang for the buck is that DAC and it's a tube unit so that's good news if you are a tube lover. Im no expert on great preamps Ive only had two that were great for me but the inclusion of those in my systems was major. I had a CJ 17 tube pre and when I switched to an Ayre k1x there was no comparison. I'm sure with some research a great sounding preamp and DAC can be had in your price range. I've also had great luck with integrated amps as well so that could be another route to consider.
I say rather than agonize just get something cheaper like the Havana just to see how good sub 1k DACs can sound. I would much rather put a bigger chunk of the budget towards amplification. In my experience the amp dollars do more than the DAC dollars. You won't get hurt to bad on trying a used DAC and if you get the Havana you'll prob just end up staying with it anyway or at least you'll find out for yourself that there is not to much difference between it and DACs costing a lot more if you do move up