CD player in the $2,500 to $5,000 range

I sold my old system (Bryston, MG 3.6r, Oracle Delphi, Parasound CD player) and have been working on putting together a simpler and smaller system. With advice from others on Audiogon, I bought a lovely pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors, and a Cary SLI-80 Signature. Now I need to pick a CD player.

I listen to primarily piano music, opera, and chamber music (plus a smattering of jazz, from time-to-time). I don't give a darn about the "hi-fi experience." Grain free, no fatigue, timber accuracy, is what I value.

I'm thinking:

Ayre CX-7e
Meridian G08
AR CD3
Marantz SA 11s1

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MMC
msmcelwee

Showing 1 response by pardales

If you don't want SACD I would seriously consider maximizing redbook with a redbook only player. Of the players you have listed I have heard the G08 and thought it great. Others have recommended some nice players as well. I agree with everyone who is suggesting to go with the companies who offer you the opportunity to demo players in your own system for 30 days. Lot more to gain than to lose with that.

If you decide you want SACD I would spend a lot of money on a really good DAC and buy a decent SACD player (used) as the transport.