CD player in the $2,500 to $5,000 range

I sold my old system (Bryston, MG 3.6r, Oracle Delphi, Parasound CD player) and have been working on putting together a simpler and smaller system. With advice from others on Audiogon, I bought a lovely pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors, and a Cary SLI-80 Signature. Now I need to pick a CD player.

I listen to primarily piano music, opera, and chamber music (plus a smattering of jazz, from time-to-time). I don't give a darn about the "hi-fi experience." Grain free, no fatigue, timber accuracy, is what I value.

I'm thinking:

Ayre CX-7e
Meridian G08
AR CD3
Marantz SA 11s1

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MMC
msmcelwee

Showing 2 responses by newmanoc

Audition a Linn Ikemi as well as an Esoteric DV 50 (a universal player). The Esoteric is a little out of your price range new, but on demo it should fall below 5k. Very different sounds, both excellent players. I love the Ikemi on redbook, and the sound you are describing as your preference is exactly what it delivers. The Esoteric on SACD is nothing short of awesome and its redbook is also excellent (very detailed, if that is to your liking, though not as smooth as the Ikemi). If you have either of these dealers in your area, be sure you go listen (given your preferences, especially to the Ikemi) before you buy anything else.
"Yes, I ... have owned over 35 sources in the past 2 years. These are my personal favorites."

711smilin:
If you are so inclined, and haven't done so elsewhere, would you please list the 35 plus sources you have owned in the past two years, and if you feel like it, some brief comments about your impressions of them? Of course everyone has different tastes, but I think I (and others) could benefit greatly from your experience. I haven't been able to audition anything like this many, much less own them.