Cassette Decks in 2019

In the last few years a bunch of experimental/fringe music has been increasingly been put out on cassette. I can stream these on Apple Music and Prime and such but would rather buy it and support the artists.

So on a whim I've been looking at decks. Nakamichi comes out often but HOLD CRAP look at the prices for machines. No thanks. So I see some from TEACTascam and Marantz that are being produced now and wonder if any of these are decent enough soundwise.

Thoughts?
gochurchgo
Have been a fan of cassette decks since childhood. I used to own a Nakamichi BX-300, which was sonically excellent. The ZX-7 is/was amazing, but always out of my price range.

I currently own a Nakamichi BX-125. It's a two head unit, but it was restored by a pro and total cost was <$300. It is a 2 head deck, but far superior to the TASCAM. 

I also own two Yamaha 3 head cassette decks, which perform amazingly well. K-1000 and a K-1020. The K-1000 is direct drive, so no belts. It has Dolby B and DBX and has a frequency response of 20-21,000Hz with Metal, 20-20,000 with Chrome. The K-1020 was, IMO, Yamaha's best deck with Dolby B, C, DBX. It has frequency response of 20-23,000Hz with metal and 20-20,000Hz with chrome. I paid $50 for the K-2000, $100 for service. I paid $300 for the K-1020 professionally serviced to like new condition. 

I'd take a look at a good quality, refurbished vintage deck before spending $500 on something made in China which costs that much only due to low production volume. It's no better than a $100 dual well cassette deck from the 80's, not nearly as good as some decent upper level ones that were produced like Sony ES, Yamaha, Technics or Pioneer.
Smkerry, can you describe your experience with the specific Tascam model that has been discussed (the 202MkVII), upon which your comments are based? For example, have you listened to it in your own system with tapes you are familiar with?

Regards,
-- Al

Al, I was pretty active with cassettes in the '70s and '80s.  Not all at one time but I owned several decks -- HK (2), Tandberg, Nak (480, not impressed), Aiwa, Pioneer, etc.  I was always disappointed by commercial pre-recorded tapes.  But I never heard any of the Advent or CSIS products.  For the others I expect it was the high speed duplication that was their undoing.

However I found making my own recordings, mainly from LPs, with careful attention to tape quality, bias, clean sources, etc. gave very listenable results.  I think some who were disenchanted with cassettes either heard poor quality pre-recorded examples or poorly done home made.
Of course, I can't. So technically, my comments are conjecture. I wouldn't buy the Tascam, as superior vintage models can be acquired for less. 

Let me start by saying that I am a former broadcast professional and have extensive experience with Tascam equipment, from the excellent analog 112 & 122 units to both 2 track and multi-track reel-to-reel machines and onwards to Tascam DAT machines. I am a fan of Tascam.

I firmly believe that the Tascamm 202 MkVii is the best new cassette deck money can by. Zero doubt. However, looks good and sounds decent is okay for a $50 100 purchase, but $500? Even discounted to $400? 

Unless someone wanted a USB port, I cannot offer any compelling reason to invest that kind of money in a machine that doesn't perform to the level of price it commands. 

If money is no object, by all means. But $500 will get you a hell of a nice restored vintage 3-head, closed-loop, dual capstan high performance machine from the likes of Nakamichi, Yamaha, Teac OR a real Tascam, Sony ES, Denon, Akai, Pioneer etc. 

Sorry of I happened to offend anyone. Just an old fart who is passionate about old-school analogue recording. It can still be done well for a reasonable cost.

YMMV

Pryso,

You and I are in the same boat. I never cared for mass produced commercial cassettes.

I forgot to mention Aiwa too. I owned an AD-F770 and just adored that machine. Have owned Nakamichi BX-300, Akai GX-9, Teac V900X, Yamaha: KX-1200, K720 & KX-500.

Currently have a 2-head Nakamichi BX125 (gave to my son) and Yamaha K1000 & K1020 both 3-head. 

Taking a good 3-head deck with a good quality, properly calibrated cassette tape and making a recording from vinyl and even CD is pleasing. I enjoy the sound of a well recorded cassette. It's a natural sound and pleasing to my aging ears.

I lucked out last week and was able to purchase a stock of almost 150 brand new, sealed Maxell tapes. 20% type IV and 80% type II. That's enough to keep me happy indefinitely.