Cassette Decks in 2019

In the last few years a bunch of experimental/fringe music has been increasingly been put out on cassette. I can stream these on Apple Music and Prime and such but would rather buy it and support the artists.

So on a whim I've been looking at decks. Nakamichi comes out often but HOLD CRAP look at the prices for machines. No thanks. So I see some from TEACTascam and Marantz that are being produced now and wonder if any of these are decent enough soundwise.

Thoughts?
gochurchgo

Showing 4 responses by almarg

Smkerry, thanks for your response.

I should add to my previous comments about the Tascam 202MkVII that they pertain to playing pre-recorded tapes, which is what the OP has said he is interested in.  I have not done any recording with this deck.

Regards,
-- Al

Smkerry, can you describe your experience with the specific Tascam model that has been discussed (the 202MkVII), upon which your comments are based? For example, have you listened to it in your own system with tapes you are familiar with?

Regards,
-- Al

... why would one even consider cassette media would be worth listening too.

Mark, to add to Uberwaltz’ comments I would feel safe in saying that if, as I did, during the 1970s and 1980s you had purchased a considerable number of cassettes that were issued on the Connoisseur Society In Sync label you would not have asked this question.

That series of cassettes presented classical music performed by highly distinguished artists of the past such as pianists Ivan Moravec and Ruth Laredo and violinist Wanda Wilkomirska, among many others.

And regarding sound quality, as I mentioned earlier these cassettes were duplicated on chrome tape in real time. Meaning that every cassette sold was copied from a master tape at normal playback speed, rather than being duplicated at high speed as was usually done by other labels. The resulting sonics, as in the example I cited in my earlier post, were often spectacular.

Regards,
-- Al

Late last year I purchased the Tascam deck you linked to, for $500 at B&H Photo Video. I commented about it as follows on 11-18-2018 in this thread:

Given the mention of cassette decks in many of the responses, I’d thought I’d mention a currently produced deck some may wish to consider if and when their vintage deck develops a problem that isn’t worth fixing, or can’t be fixed.

The ca. 1980 Tandberg 3004 I purchased in the mid-1990s recently developed some problems, and given the expense that would be involved in getting it repaired (the SoundSmith website indicates a "maximum estimate" of $2250 for an overhaul of that very complex deck) I decided to purchase a pro-oriented dual well deck Tascam introduced just a few months ago, the 202MkVII, costing $500.

And I’ve been very pleasantly surprised with its sonics, not to mention that I expect it to provide much better reliability over the long term than the Tandberg would have if I were to get it repaired. Compared to the Tandberg (when it was working properly) there is some loss of definition in the highs, that is particularly evident on classical piano music. But that is pretty much the only significant negative I can cite regarding its sonics.

And on the other hand, I’ve just listened on the Tascam to a Connoisseur In Sync cassette I purchased in the 1980s featuring violinist Wanda Wilkomirska performing the famous Bach Chaconne and various pieces by other composers, the original recording having been made in 1974. Totally fantastic, musically and sonically! Most or all of the many cassettes that were issued on that label, btw, were duplicated in real time and on CrO2 tapes.

Also, btw, the deck provides a USB output, making it possible to do digital transfers to a computer.

Considering this deck’s combination of sonic quality, presumably much greater likelihood than the vintage decks of providing long-term reliability (it’s perhaps noteworthy that as a Tascam product it is aimed at the pro audio market), and very modest price (certainly compared to most of the upper tier vintage units if found in top condition), I would recommend the Tascam highly.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al