Cary 805 vs v12

I really enjoy my janszen speakers and have powered them with six PAC el34 triodes for almost a year. I tried a mcintosh mc275 for a time, but found I prefer the el34 to the kt tube family. I was considering finding a used v12 with the ultralinear switch to get more out of my system. But, then I thought, " hmm...I wonder what the 805ae would sound like?"

Anyone care to compare the 805ae to the six pacs to the v12? I lean towards warm and full bodied sound and do not care for the hyper detailed krell sound.

System:
Emotive Sira pre
Sony hapz1es
Svs stereo subs
Six PAC mono blocks
Janszen za2.1
sgtbrad

Showing 2 responses by pbnaudio

The Cary 805 was originally designed with a 805 output triode driven by a EL34 with a single 6SN7 for the input. From memory it was never put into production that way because of the top anode cap and the safety implications it brings, therefore for initial production release of the CAD 805 the 211 triode was chosen as the output tube.

In its second release (CAD 805-B) the 300B was chosen as a driver tube in place of the EL34.

Later on the possibility of tube rolling Output tubes between the 845 and the 211 was introduced, this happened in the mid 1990's

Early CAD 805 Review

Amazing staying power this beautiful amplifier have - still in production 25 years later, now as the CAD 805AE

Good Listening

Peter
I inquired my old friend Dennis Had, one of the true visionaries this industry has been blessed with, about the output tubes used in this truly remarkable amplifier. i.e., we are talking about this 25 years after its original release, here is what he had to say --

"The original prototype that appeared for a couple days at the CES Show in 1991 was with the 805 output tube driven by an EL34 with a front end pre-driver of a 6SL7. A major concern was involving the exposed high voltage (900 vdc) utilizing the plate cap required for the 805. There was an easy solution with the use of the 211. Since the plate capacitance is of little concern at audio frequencies the 211 was the choice for an audio amp in home audio listening rooms. Soooooooo the first formal production CAD-805's (1992) had the tube line up of the 211 output driven by an EL34 utilizing interstage coupling to the 211 with the 6SL7 up front as the pre-driver."

So this pretty much settles it, please see my initial post on this above.

I was fortunate to have the privilege to work for Dennis Had for a short period 1994/1995, he taught me a lot about this industry, for which I'm very grateful.

Good listening

Peter