Cary 306/200 -- Still near state of the art?

I love my 306/200, but it's obviously getting a bit long in the tooth. Any opinions as to what I'm missing out on compared to the top one-piece players available today? If technology has really advanced, is there a newer player at around $2000 new or used that you would suggest as a replacement?

For those of you who had the 306/200, what was your next player, and are you happy with the upgrade?

For reference, I demoed the new Cary 303 against the Musical Fidelity A5, and preferred the A5. I would prefer, however, to have a player that has balanced outputs like my Cary. One-box suggestions only, pls.
dkidknow

Showing 1 response by mmike84

I happily owned a Cary 306/200 for about 3 years. Then I got the bug. I bought 3 players used and tried them all. I tried a Levinson 390s, a Wadia 861se (more $ but allowed me to drop the preamp), and a Muscial Fidelity SACD player I can't remember the model of. I discovered there is better out there. In the end I kept the Wadia because it blew doors on the others. I recently moved from the Wadia to Ayre for consistency. More of a lateral move. Not sure what would be better for $2k. Maybe try a used Wadia in the same level and see if it's better? If you buy used you can try and resell if you decide not to keep it.