Cary 300 integrated, Devore speakers

Hello,

I'm searching for speakers for my Cary 300b integrated. The amp is rated 15w per channel, but I think the rating might be somewhat generous. Anyway, I'm wondering whether a speaker rated in the lower 90s, such as the Devore Super 8 at 90db, would be a good match. Any thoughts? Would appreciate any advice. 
rfprice

Showing 3 responses by rfprice

I ask about Devore in particular because I read that John Devore rates his speakers conservatively (in the sense that many other manufacturers inflate their sensitivity ratings). So, a John Devore rating of 90 might be more like 94 as commonly perceived with other speakers. Would you agree with that?  
No, I've never seen the minimum power specs listed. I have a vague memory of once asking him but I think he said that he wasn't familiar enough with this amp. It's true you can't go by the numbers alone. I've heard many combinations that work just fine despite the numbers. And others that don't. I've read forum threads where people describe completely contradictory experiences. 

But I share your affinity for Devore. I first heard Devore around 2005 at my local dealer, a pair of Super 8 in fact. I became a devotee instantly. One of the brands I just swear by. 
The Cary has a 4/8 ohm switch.

I've researched the minimum power but haven't found it. If you come across any information. I'd appreciate it. It was several years ago at least that I wrote to John Devore. I'm sure he's much busier these days.