Cartridge recomendation for Garard 301 and Ikeda IT-345CRI

Please recommend a cartridge for this set up. Budget is 2k range.

I like the "smooth with detail" types. Big and bold is good. Some interest in Ikeda and Miyajima cartridges.

I understand a SUT may be necessary.

Thanks.
128x128lokie

Showing 14 responses by lokie

Oh no, this tonearm deserve a better cartridge than refurbished Denon
That's funny because that's what I've been living with to get myself started in analog. Its been fun but ready to try the something more.
Again, thanks for the ideas.

Phasemation is an interesting company. On initial observation seems like good bang for the buck and the black would look good with my diy Wenge Plinth.
I'm looking pretty hard at SPU's but I get a little confused at their Replicant 100 stylus level and whether its really an SPU and the price starts competing with some pretty heady competition. 

I installed the P-3G on my FR-64S to refresh my memory of its sonic presentation. ’Big and bold is good’ you say. Well, that is actually a pretty good description of the P-3G sound. Also, it has a very low noise floor, almost CD like. Without the (surface) noise, the music leaps out of the silence. The resulting dynamic ’jump’ makes for a big and bold presentation. Bass is deep, strong and tight. Mids are present and slightly forward. Highs do not stick out, but are not rolled off either. Does this sound ’polite’ to you?

No. That sounds interesting. Love jumpy dynamics.

I’ve just fitted an SPU Royal N to my arm, a Schröder rather than an Ikeda but if you want big and bold this is it, it’s also fluid and engaging. From what I can glean the Ikeda is high mass so should be ideal.

Thanks for the SPU recommendation. Why the  Royal N in particular?

I'm sure any Myajimi (or Ikeda , SPU's and Miyabbes etc..)  sound marvelous on the Ikeda....I guess I'm struggling with the "Japenese" warm and rich sounding cartridges are sympatico with the majority of music I listen to. Here's a quote from a review of a Myajami:
"Wonderful tonality, dense background, palpable foreground—long story short, a classic example of a rich Japanese sound. I also realized quickly that it wasn't a "perfect sound" as the top Dynavector model, DRT-XV1t, delivered a better performance proving that there was much more information written in album's grooves, it delivered more distinct, more "live-like" sound. And yet Shilabe was (and still is) a remarkable proposal for those, who value a rich, warm sound."
Does this presentation offer long term satisfaction over time with the following music:
Grateful Dead, Little Feat, Stones and lots of Classic Rock, Motown, and early Funk. All kinds of Jazz; small club, "big and bold" jazz, modern and vintage.

Would a sharper leading edge provide more excitement over the long run?

I also listen to a steady diet of various Americana and Acoustic... which I'm sure the Rich Japanese sound would be sublime.

Miyajima US distributor giving 7 day money back trial, who else can offer anything like that for a cartridge? Try it

If I was buying full retail brand new in box, I would do just as you advise.
My goal here is to get 3 or 4 candidates and wait for a deal. I am not in a hurry.  I suspect the next 6 months will be a buyers market.
Thanks for all the great advice.