Capacitors in Cary PH302 phono amp

I've just bought a S/H Cary PH302 mk-2 phono amp.
I noticed that the 2 caps near front tubes, C15 & C16, appear to be different to the caps shown in the pictures on the Cary website.
Upon closer inspection it appears that these may have been changed by a previous owner. See pic below:
Cary PH302 Capacitors

The substituted caps(?) are Multicap PPMFX types, 1.0uF/200V.
I found a capacitor test that rates these caps very poorly.
My question is what were the original capacitor types and value.
Any suggestions for substitution, other than original?
128x128tobes

Showing 3 responses by theaudiotweak

Just looking in on this thread and felt the need to add my experience to the mix. I have been using Mundorf S/O's within my system in many positions for the last couple of years. Some are deep inside components and hard to reach. One that is very simple to perform a swap is on my hybrid Altmann Dac. The dac has a .47uf cap at the output of each channel. I chose a Clarity Cap MR to replace the Mundorf's.

My entire system is designed and built around the idea of resonance grounding. The MR caps were also designed with resonance control as the core factor to their construction.
Size was an issue as was price.

The MR is a much cleaner and more neutral cap in my particular device than was the S/O it replaced. The MR is much quieter yet insightful and more musical. The bass is smoother and more detailed and controlled. Vocal placement and outline is more defined but the biggest difference in these two caps are the dynamic contrasts. The Mundorf seems to have a staggering mind of its own. In the course of a recording I seemed to be grasping for the volume control wanting to turn it up or down depending on the sonic impulse. It was if I were waiting for someone to rap on the door or a drummer to knock over his cymbal all in the course of one recording. In contrast the MR is much more linear and stable in its tracking of the sudden impulses in the music line..it is not at all compressed. The staging on the MR is more defined and detailed almost with a three d affect all with no perception of phase shift or crawl. I will be installing MR's in those other locations when time allows. Tom
The Mundorfs like the Clarity Cap MRs were mounted to the spruce board that is essentially the chassis mount for the Altmanm Dac . The whole assembly is then mounted to and tensioned to a custom one off Sistrum platform. All the components of the Altmann including the coupling caps are in free air. Temperature variation in an environment like this would be nill even though the MR's have a higher temp rating by 15 degrees C. I doubt the Mundorfs broke down in free air use after only 2 years. The Clarity MR's maybe superior in their dynamic presentation because of their design and construction based on resonant energy transfer. That's how I hear and see the stage in front of me. Tom
Paul

I saw that your setup is tubed based and mine is not. The reference to maximum temperature rating was in reference to the 2 caps in proximity to high heat exposure. Your measurements predict that your cap of choice will work just fine. Cool. Good listening.
Tom