Can't get Acoustic Zen Adagios to sound smooth

I have owned a pair of Acoustic Zen Adagios speakers for over 4 years. They can sound very good, BUT also have a HARD AND UNSMOOTH sound when playing certain CD's. I have changed electronics from separates to an integrated amp, and recently purchased a Ayre CX-7e to replace a Rega Apollo. The Ayre easily highlights the limitations of the Rega player and outperforms it.

Nevertheless, the hard and unsmooth sound seems to prevail. It can also sound like an acoustic overtone, and (I think )the music looses its bloom or musicality. The current living space is well damped with maps,and rug hangings on the walls. I also have two 6 ft tall bookcases that contain only 70% less books than my previous apartment These shelves are in the corner, perpendicular to the speaker on each side of the room.

I encountered this problem before in a different and smaller living space.

I also recently changed speakers cables from a 4 year old pair of Audio Art SC-5 to a brand new pair of Grover Huffman which seemed to be slowly breaking in and are more detailed than the AA cable. I also replaced the standard wimpy power cord of the Ayre player with Panagea's new 14SE MKII power cord designed for just components, not amps. The Panagea PC is excellent, and has dropped the noise floor allowing for more detail to emerge. I drive the Adagios with the Rogue Sphinx hybrid integrated amp (100RMS)whose PC was replaced by an Acoustic Zen Tsumani Plus power cord.

I am beginning to wonder if there is another speaker that might provide a smoother top end performance and still have the taut bass, and detailed mids of the Adagios. Will appreciate all and any advice, even new speaker recommendations. Thank you
sunnyjim

Showing 8 responses by zd542

There's a good chance its the recordings like everyone else is saying. I would also try it with the stock cord. Just put it back in and leave it for a few weeks. Don't be too quick to judge it.
"The Adagio's measure extremely well with low distortion so it is very hard to imagine it is the speakers introducing something undesirable."

It's not so much that the speakers are introducing something undesirable, its what they're not doing. For example, lets say that you have an issue with sibilant high frequencies. There could be several causes for this. One of them might be that the speaker doesn't have enough refinement to properly reproduce the correct timber of what's on the recording. I don't think a problem like that would show up in the specs.
"Look, you've been struggling with those speakers for a long time. You obviously have a problem with choosing the right amplification, because they are everything but bright or harsh. 99% of the owners will confirm that."

I wouldn't assume that its the amp that's at fault. It could just as easily be something else.
The biggest problem people make when recommending components is looking at the problem from a personal perspective. And its easy to do. I'm not faulting you for it. But people tend to recommend products and solutions that they like personally, assuming that it will be the correct choice for the OP. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

"Jim's current CDP is one of the smoothest around."

I'm very familiar with the Ayre 7. I'm one of the people that encouraged him to get it as an upgrade over his Rega. It is smooth, but its also very detailed, so it wouldn't be out of the question that the problem lies with his CD's themselves. Also, I don't see what class D has to do with it. Not all class D amps sound the same. Like you, I can only guess, and my best guess tells me the problem may lie with either the CD's themselves, or the preamp section of his Rogue. (No need to remind me that it's tubed. I know.) I admit that I could be wrong on this, but without hearing the system, that's my best guess. The only thing I'll add is that even though I didn't see the speakers as the problem, I have a lot of faith in John, so I'll always consider any advice he gives.
"Well, AC if that is how you see the world of customer service in defense of that twerp, then you both can go fuck yourselves. Who the fuck do you think you are lecturing me, and even Mr. Shakey about "time spent or time wasted". I did not realize that the Audiogon membership produced a new Adam Smith educating us country bumpkins about the efficiency of work and the resulting "wealth of nations" "

I thought I was bad! You're way worse than me. Actually, you're way worse then me and MR. Shakey combined. If you ever move again, come on out to NYC. You'll fit right in here.
"03-31-15: Marqmike
What was the original post?"

The OP made a slight detour.
"04-03-15: Shakeydeal
Uh oh, Jl35. You've done it now. Shame on you......
Shakeydeal (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

You're not still mad at me, are you Shakey? I've seen a few comments like this from you recently and can't help but think you may still be a little upset with me. I fully admit that I woke up on the wrong side of the binding posts that one day, and as a result, I acted like a complete ass. I could have said the same thing without being offensive in any way. I thought I apologized for that, but maybe I didn't, or you just didn't see it.
"04-02-15: Sunnyjim
To Mmeysarosh, Your comment exactly described what I am hearing and have heard over the last 4 years. It is not been painful, just overall disappointing."

What kind of cables are you using in the system? With gear that has a lot of resolution like AZ and Ayre, I've noticed some traits that certain cables bring out in a system. I'm not saying that this is definitely your problem, or that different cables will be a complete fix, because that's not likely. But it may be a contributing factor, and maybe offer at least a partial fix, or step in the right direction.