Can't drive Proac Studio 110 with low budget amps

Hi from Russia

I have problems driving my Proac Studio 110 with mid power amps. I tried Marantz 6003 and Rotel 972, both produce bass-less sound, that is they play around 25% of what should be played below 100 Hz. Phasing is correct, I tried different cables, sources.

I don't think the amps I have tried are good match for the Proacs but I assume they must play bass (of whatever quality, at the moment I don't care). Naim nait 5i is less powerful than the Rotel but it is said to be a good match for the Proacs. Arcam budget amps owners reported they were able to drive Proacs well.

Are my speakers misfunctioning?
dimedrol

Showing 1 response by newbee

With a lot of speakers it is not so much the raw power available, like for example 200wts at 8 ohms, as it is the current delivery to speakers with lower impedences i.e. 4 ohms and below. Amps which double power output at 8 ohms when it droops to 4 ohms or lower, are a good candidate for success. Those which do not may well have difficulty driving your Proac's I suspect (I've never seen the actual impedence curve of your speakers).

Re raw power - 50wt amps which double from 8 to 4 ohms will sound more powerful than their actual wattage suggests especially if your speakers have an efficiency of 90+db. If you don't listen to them excessively loud in a medium size room you could probably drive speakers with a 86db efficiency. I've used an loved high current 50wt amps with 86 db speakers with difficult impedence curves in a medium size room.

FWIW, I've never had Proac's in my home.