Can I use my passive preamp with tube amps?

I have been thinking about making the switch to some tube monos but I use a passive preamp (Bel Canto DAC3). I was wondering if a passive preamp works in the some way with tubes than solidstate. I have comared using a preamp with my current set up and I prefer the sound with the passive preamp. Thanks
macd

Showing 3 responses by rodman99999

Passive attenuators can be very transparent/faithful to your signal, regardless of amp topography. In addition to the above: Listening satisfaction will depend on the output voltage of the source/sensitivity of your amp. If the source(CDP, DAC, phono pre, etc) isn't putting out enough to drive your amp to adequate SPLs; you won't be happy. Having owned the(most excellent) Placette Passive Linestage, I found that some pressings, recorded/engineered at lower levels, were less than satisfying. Then again- I like my music loud, and most of my collection produced excellent results.
If you're asking why he'd want to go to tube monoblocks: If you really need an explanation, you wouldn't understand.
Perhaps he wants his music to sound real, rather than to sound like audio. He did say that he prefers the sound with a passive. Stan's comment is right on the money. The goal used to be called, "straight wire, with gain."