Can anyone suggest a good 2-channel amp for $1500

Conquered home theater, but want to set up a decent semi-reference 2 channel system. I'm welcoming suggestions for a decent 2-channel amp putting out around 100WPC RMS that would go for ~$1500 US or less (preferrably less). I am considering tube amps, but want to know what those advantages are over a solid state amp.

Thanks...
williamhaneke

Showing 5 responses by williamhaneke

Do you think that going for less than the max wattage for the speakers (100 wpc) will result in less sound quality than the speakers are capable of producing? I don't want to go too crazy and overdo it and blow out the speakers - that being said, if I do go the integrated amp route and the wattage is significantly more than 100wpc @ 8ohms x 2, how can I avoid blowouts? Are there safety circuits that will keep me (or the kids) from damaging my speakers?

Thanks!
I was thinking of pairing 2 Aurum Cantus Leisure 2SE's with this amp + a Shanling CD-T100a CD player in this mini-semi-ref system. I will also probably try my current Anthony Gallo Acoustics Adiva Ti's with this just for grins...

Thanx for responses so far to all...
Also, as far as room size is concerned, the room is roughly 10x8, but will be moving soon to a bigger room. As far as music is concerned, just about any. I do favor electronic and acoustic music. Synth and strings mainly...
I keep hearing Bryston, so I will have to look into this. Why are there so many more high-end Canadian units out there that we never hear about in the US? Perhaps it's a US-Centristic plot to hold out on great audio... Hmmmmm...