C46 or C220

I'm new to McIntosh, but have decided to bite the bullet. I have had a chance to listen to the C220, but not the C46. I like the idea of the 8 band tone control of the C46, but the lower cost of the C220 is appealing. Any thoughts?> Anyone had a chance to compare them? Either way, I would most likely mate the preamp to an MC252. I would appreciate your thoughts. Rest of the system is a pair of JM Reynaud Twin Signature speakers and currently a CEC CD player, although that will need an upgrade as well. I'm also shopping for an analog front-end that will most likely be a VPI Scout.

Thanks

Thanks
stratguy

Showing 1 response by aball

I have the C46's predecessor, the C42 which is basically the same. I have heard the C46 and 2200 (but not 220) serveral times now. I have to say that the C46 in direct A/B comparison with the 2200 is a tad more transparent and for me, that takes the cake since no other issue is readily obvious.

But all that will depend on your room, music, tastes, personality, lifestyle, etc. because the differences are not huge. What is objectively different is the available EQ and that is a big bonus for me. I find that the mating equipment doesn't need the 8-band EQ nearly as much as the room and some recordings. This point is often missed by scoffing audiophiles. In any case, I have found the EQ to be more effective than room treatments I have tried. If good tonality is important to you, I would suggest you seriously consider the C46 or C42.

The 352 (it isn't 351) is a great amp but after hearing the 252 on a few occasions, it feels like a toss up. Both are truly excellent.

By the way, the C42, C46, C2200, and C220 all have input trim adjustment which is indeed a very useful feature as Chazzbo states. I have come back to Mc preamps for these little details that really make the preamp a joy to use every day. It is a "control center" afterall and as such I have come to fully appreciate this type of feature. Same goes for the mute and mono buttons, intelligent volume taper, display options, and use of relays for balance and input switching. Arthur